Train fare leaving Switzerland for Innsbruck

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 22:00:33 #811875

I have an 8 day S.T.P. , but will be leaving Samedan Switzerland, to Innsbruck Austria, via Buchs & Feldkirch. Does the remaining days ($ fare) take me to Buchs, Liechtenstein? or Feldkirch, Austria? Also….When I add up the individual price on each leg of trip ,it’s different than 1 single ticket for the whole ride on the SBB site? .Thankyou for any insite.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 7:03:11 #863527

>> I have an 8 day S.T.P. , but will be leaving Samedan Switzerland, to Innsbruck Austria, via Buchs & Feldkirch. Does the remaining days ($ fare) take me to Buchs, Liechtenstein? or Feldkirch, Austria?

Your Swiss Travel Pass will be valid on the train as far as Buchs SG, which is in Switzerland. In Austria and Liechtenstein, it is only valid on a few bus routes operated by Switzerland’s PostBus.

>> Also….When I add up the individual price on each leg of trip ,it’s different than 1 single ticket for the whole ride on the SBB site?

I assume you found the price of a single ticket is lower than the total cost of individual tickets for each sector of the trip? If that’s what you mean, it’s fairly common, not only in Switzerland.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 7:50:16 #863528

Hi Peterzier,

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass is only valid until Buchs SG. You will need to buy a ticket from there to Innsbruck – you can buy a ticket here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2017 at 15:09:44 #863529

Thanks for the info.

Actually the one ticket from Samidan to Innsbruck is 94CHF. But Bucks to Innsbruck is 43CHF & Samedan to Bucks ( w/o travel pass) is 27CHF Total 70CHF??. Doesn’t matter, just wanted to confirm Bucks starts the ticket. Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 May 2017 at 15:51:19 #863530

The town name is Buchs SG, not Bucks. Be sure to book the right ticket as there are often similar location names.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2017 at 16:27:42 #863531

Forgive me, my original post indicated the correct spelling. PS No Bucks in Switzerland or Austria, except US currency.

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 May 2017 at 16:48:17 #863532

Yes, plenty of bucks in the US 🙂

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2017 at 1:52:36 #863533

>> Actually the one ticket from Samidan to Innsbruck is 94CHF. But Bucks to Innsbruck is 43CHF & Samedan to Bucks ( w/o travel pass) is 27CHF Total 70CHF??.

The fare from Samedan to Buchs SG is CHF 54.00. The fare you quoted is the half-price fare. So the price of separate tickets Samedan to Buchs SG and Buchs SG to Innsbruck is CHF 97, slightly more than the through ticket.

It might help with the spelling if you know that “Buchs” is pronounced similarly to “Books” (although technically the “ch” sounds in German don’t have an exact equivalent in English).

Enjoy your trip to Innsbruck – that is a very scenic ride!

If you go from Samedan to Buchs SG via Chur, you will go over part of the Glacier Express route, including the Landwasser Viadukt (sit on the left).

If you go via Landquart instead, you will also have a scenic ride, along what used to be called the Engadin Star route, although you will also go through the Vereina Tunnel for 20 minutes. Sit on the right until the Vereina Tunnel, then on the left for the best views from Klosters onwards. I have posted some photos of this trip on the following page if you are interested:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/chur-to-st-moritz-via-davos

(My posts of Feb 28)

Then the route through the mountains between Bludenz and Innsbruck, the Arlberg Line, is also very scenic. From memory, I think the best views are on the right.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2017 at 14:33:35 #863534

Thanks Alpenrose, We will be arriving Samedan via the G.EX from Zermatt. Thanks for the info on the two routes. I planed on taking the 8:58AM via Landquart, thanks for the heads up about the right side. The price I saw actually was..”starting”@ 27CHF Samedan to Buchs!

• The thread ‘Train fare leaving Switzerland for Innsbruck’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.