Train Frankfurt – Lucerne on Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 6:22:27 #815023

Hi

I read somewhere that if I have the STP I only need to buy the portion from Frankfurt to a border town as the portion from the border to Lucerne will be covered by the pass.

How do I buy this portion?

thank you

Sofie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 March 2018 at 8:54:35 #880251

Hello Sofie and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The STP will cover you from the Swiss border at Basel. You don’t need to buy tickets for routes covered by the STP.

BUT if you buy a ticket from Frankfurt to Lucerne using the Deutsche Bahn website (http://www.bahn.com/en/view/i ndex.shtml) you can most likely get a cheap Saver Fare the whole way and start your STP a day later.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 9:00:08 #880252

Hi Sofie,

If you don’t find any good prices for the whole trip, you can buy a ticket from Frankfurt to Basel with on of the retailers we recommend here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 0:00:31 #880253

hi Rockoyster & Lucas

Thanks so much for your response. I was having problems looking for the trips and finally managed to get the information.

I will get the 8 days STP to cover my trip from June 17-26 & buy the Frankfurt to Lucerne.

I’m planning this trip and doing all the bookings for myself and my sisters. There’s a discount for North American residents (I’m Canadian) which I qualify for. Can I apply the discount for the 3 passes or do I have to buy them separately?

Thank you

Sofie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 April 2018 at 0:03:54 #880254

Hello Sofie,

Not sure what discount you are referring to. What site are you buying from?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 0:18:01 #880255

Hi.

Raileurope.ca site. Attached is a screen shot of the offer

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 April 2018 at 0:22:03 #880256

If it is like other recent Rail Europe offers then it is based on the total purchase cost so discount should be calculated on the total tickets purchased.

I note the discount applies only to 1st Class passes which are quite a bit more expensive than the much more commonly used 2nd class pass.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 April 2018 at 0:23:47 #880257

Have you read comments on this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/20-discount-on-1st-class-swiss-travel-pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 0:51:04 #880258

Does 2nd class allow me to book reservations in the panoramic cars for the scenic trains?

I thought I read somewhere that only 1st class are allowed to. I guess I’m getting confused reading all the posts & replies.

Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 April 2018 at 1:55:53 #880259

Hello Sofie,

You can make reservations in 1st or 2nd Class irrespective of which pass if any you have. You don’t need to have already bought the pass to make reservations.

If you have a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass and want to travel 1st class on any specific journey you can buy a Class upgrade which costs half the difference between 1st and 2nd Class full fares.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 3:17:30 #880260

Hi Sofie,

>> Does 2nd class allow me to book reservations in the panoramic cars for the scenic trains?

Carriages on the Glacier Express and Bernina Express, as well as the Golden Pass panoramic trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux, have panoramic windows in second class as well as first class.

In the Gotthard Panorama Express, only first-class carriages have panoramic windows.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 3:50:36 #880261

Hi Rockoyster

You are right. A 2nd class pass is good enough. I can upgrade on the panoramic trains to first class.

Thanks a lot for helping me some monies.

Sofie

• The thread ‘Train Frankfurt – Lucerne on Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.