Train from Freiburg (Breisgau) to Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2019 at 5:02:16 #822852

Hi All,

I am looking to go from Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany to Wengen, Switzerland.

I found a train for 19,90 EUR using http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany/pri ce and clicked to http://www.bahn.com.

I searched departing Freiburg(Breisgau) Hbf and arriving at Wengen(CH).

1. Freiburg (Breisgau) Hbf to Basel SBB
    2. 5 minute transfer time
    3. Basel SBB to Interlaken Ost
    4. 8 minute transfer time
    5. Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen
    6. 12 minute transfer time
    7. Lauterbrunnen to Wengen

Can someone help tell me:

1. Are these the right train stations? I’m 95% sure they are.

2. Does http://www.bahn.com give me all the tickets to get to Wengen? Do I need to buy anything extra when I cross into Switzerland to take Swiss trains to get to Wengen?

3. Do I need to go through customs or immigration when entering Switzerland?

4. Are the transfer times enough for me to get from one platform to another and go through any immigration/customs?

This seems the cheapest option for me on my inbound trip. I will be staying for 6 days total. I’ll spend the day I get to Wengen to explore the town. I then plan to buy a Jungfrau Travel Pass for the next 4 days as I travel around Interlaken area.Finally I hope to get a Supersaver ticket to go from Wengen to Zurich airport on my last day. Does this seem like the cheapest plan?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 July 2019 at 6:10:36 #917805

Hello mark4delete and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. No It is transparent.

4. 5 minutes in Basel could be a problem as the German trains are not quite as timely as the Swiss trains. That would be a Saver fare so I’m not exactly sure what happens if you need to take the next train from Basel. In Switzerland a delayed arrival means you can still use a Supersaver ticket but I don’t really know what happens with cross-jurisdiction tickets in that instance.

A Supersaver ticket or a more flexible Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass and bit.ly/2rkekat) will be the best options to get from Wengen to Zurich.

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 July 2019 at 9:32:42 #917806

Hi mark4delete, thanks for joining us!

I think Rockoyster pretty much answered your questions :-). In addition you can find some links below:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 5:51:31 #917807

Thank you for your help!

For the 5 minute connection for Basel do you know if it’s all on one ticket or will bahn.com give me multiple tickets? I’m hoping if it’s all on one ticket then the train conductor will understand if it wasn’t my fault I missed my Basel train.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 July 2019 at 6:05:17 #917808

Hi Mark,

You should get a single ticket from departure point to destination. By way of example , there is a trick on the Man in Seat 61 website which can be used to get a cheap ticket for the Bernina Express. You buy a ticket from Singen in Germany to Tirano, Italy. You just get one ticket despite the route crossing two borders.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2019 at 4:49:20 #917809

Hi rockoyster,

I’m looking for super saver fare from Wengen to Zurich Airport and it looks like I need to use the SBB app as the website doesn’t show the super saver fares.

Is CHF 40.20 the cheapest for that route without having any special passes?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 July 2019 at 5:12:17 #917810

The SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) should show Supersaver fares. It will probably only be a Supersaver from Interlaken to Zurich. Mi doubt they do Supersaver from Wengen to Interlaken. I’m seeing CHF36.20 for a random date in August.

On the website you need to select Supersaver to get that price. See attached.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2019 at 6:10:21 #917811

Thanks rockoyster!

Do you do you know to book it so I can spend a few hours in Zurich downtown before going to the airport?

I’d like to book Wengen to Zurich HB (assuming that is the best station to use for seeing Zurich) in the morning, then continue on to Zurich Airport in the evening using a Supersaver ticket.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 July 2019 at 6:24:52 #917812

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to buy tickets. A Supersaver fare is tied to a specific departure time. You will need a separate ticket to get from Zurich HB to Zurich Flughafen (Airport).

Availability of Supersaver fares changes depending on demand. You can’t guarantee you’ll get one that suits your travel plans.

A Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass and bit.ly/2rkekat) may be a slightly more expensive but safer and far more flexible option for you.

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 July 2019 at 16:21:27 #917813

Hi mark4delete! Please find information on Supersaver tickets at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland. I agree with Rockoyster that a Saver Day Pass (if you can get it for a good price) would be more comfortable.

• The thread ‘Train from Freiburg (Breisgau) to Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.