Interlaken-Lake Como with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 23:04:42 #812995

Hi,

I’m planning on purchasing the half fare card while in Switzerland. We will be taking the car from Interlaken to Como and I would like to leverage my half fare card. I understand it is not usable for travel to another country. Does anyone know if I could purchase a ticket to the Swiss city that connects Switzerland to Como with my half fare card. Then purchase a separate ticket to Como?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 August 2017 at 0:39:44 #868524

Hi Red,

You can buy a ticket from Interlaken to Chiasso (the nearest station to Como) via Domodossola using the Swiss Half-fare Card. But I’m not sure how useful that answer is given that you are planning to drive.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 August 2017 at 1:49:05 #868525

Hi Red,

Perhaps I misunderstood your question. In any event, from Interlaken, it is quicker to get to Chiasso via Luzern rather than via Domodossola and Locarno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 23:25:47 #868526

Thank you, Rockoyster. I mistyped! My apologies.

I’m planning on purchasing the half fare card while in Switzerland. We will be taking the train from Interlaken to Como and I would like to leverage my half fare card. I understand it is not usable for travel to another country. Does anyone know if I could purchase a ticket for the Swiss portion of the trip using my half fare card and then purchase another ticket for Como?

Also, is there any sort of customs process with going from Switzerland to Italy via train? Or do I just need to show my passport?

Thank you again for any information.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2017 at 2:45:15 #868527

Hi Red,

You wrote . . . . Does anyone know if I could purchase a ticket for the Swiss portion of the trip using my half fare card and then purchase another ticket for Como?

Yes as I mentioned above you can buy a ticket using your Swiss Half-Fare Card from Interlaken to Chiasso which is at the Swiss Italian border. Or choose one of the other routes I mentioned above.

If going via Chiasso (the quickest route) then when you get to Chiasso you will be able to buy a ticket and catch a local (S11 I believe) to Como San Giovanni – it only takes 8 minutes.

Use the SBB timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your journey. If you plan to go via another route then see also http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

I haven’t been over that particular border crossing but if it is like the border crossings at Tirano (Italy) or into Germany at Basel of Konstanz then you may not even notice you have crossed a border apart from seeing a few carabinieri and swapping currency.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 5:05:28 #868528

Maybe I misconstrued your inquiry. In any occasion, from Interlaken, it is faster to get to Chiasso through Luzern instead of by means of Domodossola and Locarno.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2017 at 5:16:02 #868529

That’s what I said above “In any event, from Interlaken, it is quicker to get to Chiasso via Luzern rather than via Domodossola and Locarno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 15:27:03 #868530

Thank you! This is exactly the feedback that I was hoping for.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 August 2017 at 1:19:16 #868531

Hi Red,

One thing I forgot to mention is that you can trade off speed of journey versus amount of scenery you get to take in.

If you take the fastest route offered by the SBB timetable Interlaken Ost to Chiasso you will end up going via the Gotthard Base Tunnel and will therefore spend nearly 60Km of your trip underground.

The Scenic Alternative is the Gotthard Panorama Express from Luzern to Lugano. See http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress (reservations not mandatory on regional trains for the same route)

You can do the official full blown boat and train ride or follow the same route entirely by regional trains if you include “via Göschenen” in the timetable search. The boat ride is splendid.

The other Scenic Alternative is to take train from Interlaken Ost to Brig via Kandersteg. Then Brig to Domodossola and on to Locarno via the Centovalli Express (needs reservations I think). Local trains from there will get you to Como S. Giovanni. Even though this route traverses Italy it is still fully covered by Swiss Half-Fare Card. I haven’t done the Centovalli yet but it’s on my bucket list for next time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 5:07:48 #868532

Hi rockoyster,

>> Then Brig to Domodossola and on to Locarno via the Centovalli Express (needs reservations I think).

Reservations aren’t possible on the Centovalli Express, but if you get one of the trains with panoramic windows, there is a small supplement of 1,50 Euro or CHF 1.50, which you pay to the conductor on the train when they check your ticket.

The trains on which you have to pay the supplement are indicated on the departure board/dispay with “supplemento” (and are also indicated in the timetable with the letter “Z” (“Subject to surcharge”).

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 August 2017 at 5:56:06 #868533

Hi Alpenrose,

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was something extra to pay and “guessed” it was some sort of reservation. Now I know. 😎

• The thread ‘Interlaken-Lake Como with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.