Train from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch/Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 14:05:47 #811448

Hi Lovely People at MySwissAlps, I have some questions for our first trip to Switzerland and hoping to get some insights.

We are a family of 6, which includes 2 seniors, 2 adults and 2 children (10 & 14), and we are arriving Interlaken at 00:25 on June 15. Individual tickets purchased already. We are going from Interlaken to Lucerne in the morning of June 17 (tickets not purchased yet) and finally going from Lucerne to Venice the morning of June 18 (individual tickets purchased already). My questions are as follows:

1. Planning to go to Jungfraujoch the morning of June 16. Since we haven’t purchased any pass yet, what would be the most economical option for our family of 6 given the age dynamics?

2. Does the trip for Jungfraujoch take one entire day or can we practically add anything else as well?

3. Do you have any recommendations for a daytrip from Interlaken on June 15 and from Lucerne on June 17?

Thanks in advance!

Amit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 16:26:19 #861743

Hi Amit and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Have a look at the Jungfrau Travel Pass, All adults need to buy one but the children can by their own pass for 30 chf. This allows them to travel free on all routes (even if you have to buy a discounted ticket).
    2. Interlaken to Jungfraujoch is about 2 hours each way. Have a look through our recommended activities in the Jungfrau region for ideas to add to your trip, if you like.
    3. Have a read first through our Luzern (local German spelling) and Interlaken pages for some ides. Are you looking for boat trips, train trips or mountain excursions on these days? There is a bit of everything available!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 9:11:27 #861744

Thanks a ton Lucas!

I looked up the individual train ticket for a second class round trip from Interlaken Ost – Jungfraujoch and it shows a fare of CHF210.8 for an adult and a 3 day travel pass is for CHF180! Looks a bit odd to me..does it to you? Not sure if I have made a mistake in searching? Also is 3 day a minimum period for this pass? Asking coz we are in Interlaken for 2 days only. Will we be able to use this pass for Schilthorn also?

I will read up the links that you have sent and come back with questions. Thanks so much in advance!

Amit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 10:51:08 #861745

Hi Amit,

The prices you have are correct – it is quite expensive to get to Jungfraujoch. However, the Jungfrau Travel Pass doesn’t cover the entire cost to Jungfraujoch – it entitles you to 50% off the cost only. Be sure to click on the link in my first post and read through the “Where it’s Valid” page and open the map PDF as well.

3 days is the minimum yes. The Jungfrau Travel Pass will only get you as far as Murren, you have to buy the ticket from there up to Schilthorn.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Train from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch/Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.