Train from Lauterbrunnen to Nimes, France

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 18:30:42 #814951

I was advised to purchase my train ticket from Lauterbrunnen to Nimes, France on the sbb website. However, I am getting a message that tickets are not available. The date of our travel will be June 21, 2018. I have tried several dates that are within the current 30 day window with the same result. Do I need to purchase the Geneve to Nimes portion of the ticket separately?

I was also curious about using the Golden Pass route for part of the jouney from Lauterbrunnen to Nimes. Would the Golden Pass portion need to be purchased from goldenpassline.ch?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 19:02:39 #879794

Hi jnnfrln and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m getting prices on sbb within 30 days, but indeed not June. You can also try booking through one of these sites. I wouldn’t be too worries about booking so far in advance either. 🙂

Are you going to have any sort of rail pass for Switzerland? In which case you may then not need a ticket for the whole route.

No you don’t have to purchase the Golden Pass ticket from their site. You just need a ticket between Montreux to Lauterbrunnen (via Interlaken and Zweisimmen to follow the Golden Pass route). You can buy a ticket in Montreux (so buy your 1st ticket from Nimes to Montreux) at the station easily enough or online if you like. Reservations are optional for this route and we would recommend reserving between Montreux and Zweisimmen (the panoramic train) in the summer season which is just about to start in late June.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 19:41:52 #879795

Thank you for your quick response Lucas. I just tried again on sbb for Lauterbrunnen to Nimes for Thu, 05.04.18 and and get this message “Sorry, the offer you want is no longer available.”

I am trying to decide if a rail pass makes sense. I think the Swiss Half-Fare Card might make the most sense as we are spending 6 days with plans for:

• June 16: Zurich to Lucerne.
    • June 17 Lucerne to Meiringen. Meiringen to Lauterbrunnen.
    • June 18 Lauterbrunnen to Schynige Platte; First to Lauterbrunnen.
    • June 19 Round trip Lauterbrunnen to Oeschinenesee.
    • June 20 Around Lauterbrunnen/Gimmelwald aread
    • June 21 Lauterbrunnen to Nimes.

I think we would like to take at least one boat ride (will be near 3 lakes that would be ideal for boat rides).

On a side note, when I try to log in for purchase I get this message “You cannot currently register. Please try again later.” I was hoping if I logged in it would remember my passenger information to make it easier to calculate ticket cost without a pass vs with a pass.

Thanks again for your advice.

Arno
    15482 posts
    26 March 2018 at 5:23:18 #879796

Hi jnnfrln,

You can very well be right about the Swiss Half Fare Card. To be sure you can do the calculations as explained here. If you buy one, you only need a regular ticket from Nîmes to Geneva. You can buy that from the websites Lucas referred to. Then buy a discounted ticket for the rest of your trip within Switzerland, either online or at the station.

• The thread ‘Train from Lauterbrunnen to Nimes, France’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.