Train from Milan to Spiez on Christmas Day

• JB70
    Participant
    2 posts
    27 September 2022 at 5:43:38 #828439

Hi there! I’m trying to book train tickets from Milan to Spiez on Christmas Day this year (which happens to fall on a Sunday). I was hoping to take the 11.20am Eurocity EC52 leaving from Milano Central, but the Trenitalia website only shows the 7.20am, 8.20am, 3.2opm and 6.20pm departures as available. The SBB website does show the 11.20am connection as available, but I’m unable to purchase the ticket (the error message on the SBB website: “PLEASE NOTE that we are unable to calculate or issue tickets for the complete standard offer.”

Could anyone advise if this means that the 11.20am EC52 is fully sold out or if it just hasn’t been loaded into the system yet? Or is this reduced schedule typical over the Christmas holiday period?

Thank you in advance for your help 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2022 at 14:23:17 #947415

I could imagine that there is a misconfiguration between the SBB and Trenitalia timetables. The annual timetable change will take place on 11 DEC, the data for the new timetable might be not complete for now or the train is not running on this day

You can contact SBB to have clarity:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/help-and-contact.html

Anna
    6279 posts
    27 September 2022 at 17:59:32 #947416

Hi JB70,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

In addition to Trainliner’s suggestion, you can also find information about travel and tickets from Italy to Switzerland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

Hope this helps.

regards,

Anna

JB70
    Participant
    2 posts
    1 October 2022 at 3:37:01 #947417

Hi Trainliner and Anna, thank you so much for your reply! I’ll take you up on both suggestions and contact SBB to confirm if the 11.20am train will be running on December 25th. The information section on train travel between Switzerland and Italy is very helpful too 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2022 at 17:28:44 #947418

Italian railways have never been known for efficiency. I can imagine that the Italian railways have perhaps not sorted out their timetables for next year yet.

• The thread ‘Train from Milan to Spiez on Christmas Day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.