Train Montreux-Chamonix interrupted September 18?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2019 at 23:44:53 #823428

We are supposed to take the train from Montreux to Chamonix on Wednesday, September 18th and return to Switzerland on Saturday the 21st. I understand there is some work being done on the tracks between Martigny and Chamonix, starting on the 9th. I have been given information on another travel forum that there will be buses running but can’t find any information or conformation of this. When I go on the SBB app, it wants to route me through Geneva. Can anyone please give me some information on this situation. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 August 2019 at 6:24:45 #920193

Hi Snowcat, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Correct, the line from Martigny to Chamonix-Mont Blanc will be interrupted due to construction works between September 9 and October 10. There is a bus replacement service, but it’s hard to find any details on it other than the information at http://www.mont-blanc-express.ch/en/timetabl es/. Unfortunately, the SBB timetable depends on information provided by the French railways, and if they haven’t handed over details and times for those buses yet, the SBB timetable can’t show them either. So if I were you, I’d contact the Mont Blanc Express company to ask for details, or check the timetable again in a couple of weeks: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. Details may be incorporated by then.

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    18 August 2019 at 11:43:03 #920194

Well this is new information for me! I’ve been checking daily for the train schedule. I did not see the construction information anywhere.

Annika, do you have a web site for the MBE company? I can’t find it online. Thanks.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 August 2019 at 13:07:18 #920195

Hi Meemskirk,

The link is in Annika’s post.

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    18 August 2019 at 16:02:50 #920196

Thanks, I thought that was just the timetable.

So I just calling–no answer. I tried emailing but it won’t take my query!

The website describes the St. Gervaise to La Chatelard-Frontiere route being out.

But can you still go from Montreux to Martigny to La Chatelard-Frontiere? Then you could take a bus or rent a car for the remainder?

Argh!

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 August 2019 at 11:43:22 #920197

Hi Meemskirk,

No need for a car, the sections that are not serviced by trains will have bus replacements, please see the page for details. That’s a standard procedure, no worries.

• The thread ‘Train Montreux-Chamonix interrupted September 18?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.