Train from Montreux to Munich via Golden Pass line

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 21:19:18 #811798

Hi all

I am hoping that somebody can help me I would like to go from Montreux to Munich by Train on the 27th June and having looked at the timetables can see that the fastest train would take 6 1/2 hrs but are wondering if i could combine the route Montreux to Luzern on the Goldenpass line as part of this trip and how much longer it would make the route, Would i have to put zweismann into via to get it to come up with the MOB panoramic train. Also noticing that there seems to be work on the line on some routes, if the route goes via Lausanne Any other suggestions to make this journey as scenic as possible would be appreciated

Many thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 May 2017 at 22:31:03 #863217

Hi twiggy321,

If you want to do one of the “major” scenic routes you are going to be looking at 4 – 5 hours extra travel time over and above fastest route.

For full Golden Pass route use via Zweisimmen and Luzern and look for MOB trains.

For Glacier Express use via Brig and Chur and look for GEX trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2017 at 7:59:04 #863218

Thanks Rockoyster for your quick reply which route do you suggest though as confused is it a choice of either of the above two or can I combine the two.

Many thanks in advance

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 May 2017 at 11:01:41 #863219

Hi Twiggy,

No I’m afraid you can’t combine the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass unless you want to take even longer to get to Munich. It’s really a toss of a coin I think.

The only viable variation with the Golden Pass is to change at Spiez and continue via Bern. But then you would miss out on the very nice Interlaken to Luzern leg and probably wouldn’t save much time if any.

• The thread ‘Train from Montreux to Munich via Golden Pass line’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.