Train from Munich to Murren to Varenna Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2016 at 22:20:04 #808376

My husband and I will be travelling from Munich to Murren Switzerland via train on June 3rd. We are staying in Murren for four days . On June 7th we will be traveling via train from Murren to Varenna Italy.

Could you please help us find the best routes?

Which rail pass would be most beneficially for saving costs?

Thank you so much for any help with these travel plans!

Debbie from Canada

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 February 2016 at 6:09:51 #848203

Hi Debbie, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Routes can be found in the timetable. I recommend the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi. It includes the transfers from the German/Swiss border (Basel, St. Margrethen, Zürich, depening on the route) to Mürren, and from Mürren to the Swiss/Italian border (Domodossola). You also get a 50% discount on trip from Mürren. Additionally you need tickets for the German leg and Italian leg of your trip. Please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2016 at 17:05:57 #848204

Thank you! The Swiss transfer Ticket Combi sounds perfect. When travelling via train from Germany how and where would we validate our pass. I believe we will travel through Basel.

Thanks again, Debbbie

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 February 2016 at 17:23:56 #848205

Hi Debbie,

You can buy it through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and manually fill out the blank fields on the pass. That’s all. That will make it valid for any train from Basel onward to Mürren.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 17:48:59 #848206

Thank you! One last question. On our last day travelling from Murren to Lugano via Domodossola, does the Swiss Transfer Pass cover the rail fare all the way to Lugano or does it end at the Swiss border?

Thanks again, Debbie from Canada

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 February 2016 at 11:39:27 #848207

Hi Debbie,

Until Chiasso, it’s all included in the Swiss Transfer Ticket. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket/ validity.

You will be traveling to Varenna-Esino in Italy, right? The quicker route would be via Milan, not Lugano/Chiasso. That route is covered until Domodossola. But if you prefer a different route you can find details in the timetable, and coverage is explained on our Swiss Transfer Ticket page.

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    17 February 2016 at 4:28:11 #848208

This is a question for “klimes”. I was interested in your post to this forum because we will be travelling from Murren to Como this summer and we were wondering if you found rail connections (Spiez-Milan-Varenna), and if so what website did you you use? Would you mind responding?

Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 February 2016 at 7:33:08 #848209

Hi stevemcdonald,

Debbie may share her tips here as well, but in the mean time I can tell you that all trains are in the timetable I referred to in my first reply. I’m not sure when you travel but Italian train schedules may not be available yet for dates after mid June or so. As for which tickets or passes you need for your trip, and where to buy those: that depends on all your travel plans, and your country of residence.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2016 at 2:21:58 #848210

Hello, We have chosen an adventurous route! We will travel by train from Murren to Lugano. We have not chosen the exact route until the schedules come out. Then we will travel via bus to Menaggio ( about an hour). Then by ferry to Varenna. So far it looks very doable and very scenic.

• The thread ‘Train from Munich to Murren to Varenna Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.