Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Best Swiss entry point by train from Paris

Best Swiss entry point by train from Paris

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
MPP3216
MPP3216
4 posts
Oct 23, 2019 - 11:34 PM

Hi All,

Planning a trip to Switzerland next May , we will be taking a train out of Paris but there are so many options that i am confused which way to go.

Option 1- Paris to Bern take early morning train from Paris which reached Bern around 11.30 AM , do half day Bern sightseeing and then evening take train from Bern to Interlaken or Grindelwald where we stay for next 3 days .My question is since we will be travelling with luggage can we store our luggage at Bern station ? or have it delivered directly to our our destination ?

Option 2- Paris to Lausanne - Lausanne reach around 11.30 am then train to Montreaux ( in montreaux have lunch and visit the Chillon Castle if possible) then take take the Panoramic Golden pass train from Montreaux to Interlaken planning to catch the 15.45 , in interlaken/Grindelwald we stay for next 3 days. This way we do not have to waste another day doing the Golden pass route between Interlaken -Montreaux.

Once again my concern is around luggage and the connection time at Zweisimmen . Is there storage space for luggage on both legs of the journey and can i make seat reservations which means we get guaranteed seats in both the trains.If we do seat reservations do we get assigned seat nos.How easy or difficult will it be to catch the connection trains with luggage at Zweisimmen considering its only 6min connection time between 2 trains.

Thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
7860 posts
expert
Oct 24, 2019 - 12:07 AM in reply to MPP3216

Hello MPP and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Great to see you have already done the research on train timings.

I'd go for option 1. Bern is a large station. Luggage storage will not be an issue. Actually I'd go straight to the Jungfrau Region and maybe include Bern later if time permitted somewhere in your overall plans.

Your option 2 implies the Golden Pass is a mandatory part of your itinerary. It shouldn't be unless you have plenty of time. It's a pleasant enough train ride to get from Montreux to Luzern or vice versa but not something I would go out of my way to do as an excursion. What does your overall itinerary look like?

Last modified on Oct 24, 2019 - 12:10 AM by rockoyster
MPP3216
MPP3216
4 posts
Oct 24, 2019 - 2:07 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks Rockoyster you are correct we would like to include the scenic route on the Golden pass between Montreaux and Interlaken if possible.I have read so much about the route , but also read that its a bit overrated especially iduring the peak tourist season.So i would say it is something we would like to include as part of our Iternary but not mandatory.We are looking at spending around 7 or 8 nights in switzerland with tentative iternary as below

Base1 Interlaken or Grindelwald or Wengen - 3N or 4N. Things we want to see around Base 1

1. Lucerne, Berne either as seperate day trips or half half days in 1 single day trip . So something like Interlaken to Lucerne early morning spend half day in Lucerne have lunch then train from Lucerne to Bern in the afternoon , spend 2-3 hours around Bern the head back to Interlaken or where we stay late evening

2. Top of the europe and on the way back visit one of the villages like Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (depending on where we end up staying)

Interlakn to Zermatt - 2N. here we would be doing the Take train to Gornegrat glacier

Then glacier express Zermatt to St. Mortiez - 2N in St. Mortiez

Finally Bernina express from st. Mortiez to Tirano- The question i have can this be done as a day trip ?

Thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
7860 posts
expert
Oct 24, 2019 - 2:30 AM in reply to MPP3216

Well with that itinerary I would skip the actual Zweisimmen to Montreux Golden Pass. You will do parts of the overall route between Interlaken and Luzern and between Interlaken and Zermatt: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass.

Not sure what you mean by “Finally Bernina express from st. Mortiez (sic) to Tirano- The question i have can this be done as a day trip ?”

You can certainly go from St Moritz to Tirano on the Bernina Express or on regular trains: https://www.myswissalp s.com/berninaexpress. The scenery is just the same. It’s only a couple of hours each way if you want to do it as a day return trip to St Moritz.

You can join the Bernina Express that runs from Chur to Tirano at Pontresina if there is not a Bernina Express train running from St Moritz at your time of travel.

MPP3216
MPP3216
4 posts
Oct 24, 2019 - 2:48 AM

Thanks Rockyoyster for your comments, what i meant when writing " Finally Bernina express from st. Mortiz to Tirano" is that will be the final leg of our switzerland tour.Its good to know that this can be done as a day trip. As per your suggestion I will also have a look at joining the Bernina express at Pontresina

Annika
Annika
6110 posts
expert &
Oct 24, 2019 - 9:05 AM in reply to MPP3216

Hi MPP3216! Good to see your itinerary is taking shape. I think your overall plans are very reasonable.

You'll need train tickets from Paris to Switzerland: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france. For your stay in Switzerland, the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass might be a perfect fit: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass. There are many more options, and if you want to make sure which one's most economical you'd have to make detailed calculations as explained at www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

The pages below may help you choose your base town for the first few nights. If you plan to make day trips to Lucerne (www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne) and/or Bern (www.myswissalps.com/be rn), Interlaken would make most sense as it offers the quickest train connections to those towns:

These pages provide more information about the other towns and attractions on your list:

The advanced SBB timetable at www.myswissalps.com/ti metable is a tremendous help in planning each trip. Mind to use the right spelling of your destinations, otherwise the timetable may not recognize them (e.g. "Montreux" and "St. Moritz").

MPP3216
MPP3216
4 posts
Oct 24, 2019 - 11:24 AM

Thanks a lot Annika for all the helpful tips I will definitely have a look at the excel calculator to work out the best fare for us.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019