Train from Venice to Interlaken with Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 17:11:21 #814658

Hi, after I read through all the threads here I understand that with Swiss pass I just have to purchase ticket from Venice to Domodossola, and from there I can remain on my seat to Interlaken by using my Swiss Pass.

My question is now I would like to purchase ticket from Venice to Domodossola and there are different options of route to Domodossola, how do I know which train option to choose to ensure that after pass Domodossola will surely head to Interlaken? Whether I should choose the train option that travel by Eurocity 52 or Eurocity32? Or all the trains heading to Domodossola will surely continue the route to Brig & Interlaken in the end?

Another question is I plan to travel to Strasbourg from Interlaken. I understand that I will use my Swiss pass to Basel, and I just have to purchase a train ticket from Basel to Strasbourg Ville. Would you advice me to purchase the train ticket of Basel to Strasbourg upon I arrive in Basel?Or if there other options if I would like to purchase train ticket earlier for discount?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 March 2018 at 18:02:06 #877998

Hi Yeewen, welcome to MySwissAlps!

First a quick warning, just to be sure: the SwissPass is for Swiss residents. The pass you need as a tourist is the Swiss Travel Pass. You can print it at home, please see myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

There are no direct trains to Interlaken, but most trains to Domodossola do proceed to Brig or Spiez, and from there you’ll find plenty of trains to Interlaken. I usually first go to any of the websites here (or the Swiss timetable) to look for the entire trip: so Venice to Interlaken in your case. Then for the departure time that seems best I edit the search and check for the ticket price to the border only: so you’d change Interlaken to Domossola in your case.

I don’t know your travel date, but a convenient connection with only two changes in Milan and Spiez departs from Venezia S. Lucia at 8:20 AM. So you could buy a ticket for that departure time and stay seated in Domodossola to continue to Spiez. Most websites listed on http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price, including http://www.trainline.eu/searc h, sell tickets for around €30.

For tickets to France, including Strasbourg, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france for general tips and purchase options. Most trains to Strasbourg are regional trains where reservations are not required. So you can buy last minute tickets. Personally I would not wait until Basel as there’s always the risk of missing your next train while you purchase a ticket. I’d rather do it online, or at a staffed Swiss train station whenever it is convenient. I’ve seen discounts of a few € for specific trains if booking online, but not much more than that.

Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘Train from Venice to Interlaken with Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.