Train from Venice to Interlaken with Swiss Pass

Train from Venice to Interlaken with Swiss Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Yeewen
Yeewen
9 posts
Mar 7, 2018 - 5:11 PM

Hi, after I read through all the threads here I understand that with Swiss pass I just have to purchase ticket from Venice to Domodossola, and from there I can remain on my seat to Interlaken by using my Swiss Pass.

My question is now I would like to purchase ticket from Venice to Domodossola and there are different options of route to Domodossola, how do I know which train option to choose to ensure that after pass Domodossola will surely head to Interlaken? Whether I should choose the train option that travel by Eurocity 52 or Eurocity32? Or all the trains heading to Domodossola will surely continue the route to Brig & Interlaken in the end?

Another question is I plan to travel to Strasbourg from Interlaken. I understand that I will use my Swiss pass to Basel, and I just have to purchase a train ticket from Basel to Strasbourg Ville. Would you advice me to purchase the train ticket of Basel to Strasbourg upon I arrive in Basel?Or if there other options if I would like to purchase train ticket earlier for discount?

Please login to see the attached documents
Arno
Arno
10757 posts
expert &
Mar 7, 2018 - 6:02 PM

Hi Yeewen, welcome to MySwissAlps!

First a quick warning, just to be sure: the SwissPass is for Swiss residents. The pass you need as a tourist is the Swiss Travel Pass. You can print it at home, please see myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

There are no direct trains to Interlaken, but most trains to Domodossola do proceed to Brig or Spiez, and from there you'll find plenty of trains to Interlaken. I usually first go to any of the websites here (or the Swiss timetable) to look for the entire trip: so Venice to Interlaken in your case. Then for the departure time that seems best I edit the search and check for the ticket price to the border only: so you'd change Interlaken to Domossola in your case.

I don't know your travel date, but a convenient connection with only two changes in Milan and Spiez departs from Venezia S. Lucia at 8:20 AM. So you could buy a ticket for that departure time and stay seated in Domodossola to continue to Spiez. Most websites listed on www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price, including www.trainline.eu/searc h, sell tickets for around €30.

For tickets to France, including Strasbourg, please see www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france for general tips and purchase options. Most trains to Strasbourg are regional trains where reservations are not required. So you can buy last minute tickets. Personally I would not wait until Basel as there's always the risk of missing your next train while you purchase a ticket. I'd rather do it online, or at a staffed Swiss train station whenever it is convenient. I've seen discounts of a few € for specific trains if booking online, but not much more than that.

Enjoy your trip!

Last modified on Mar 7, 2018 - 6:07 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018