Which village in the Jungfrau region is best?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:04:36 #881332

>> Jungraujoch exercusion … Do I also need seat reservation

As rockoyster mentioned, you do not need a reservation.

However, July is peak period for the Jungfraujoch, and it will be extremely busy. If I were to do that trip in July, I think I would make a reservation. You would most likely get up there eventually without a reservation, especially if you started out early in the day, but might have to wait a long time in a queue.

Reservations are only available for the final sector of the trip, from Kleine Scheidegg to the Jungfraujoch, and must be made for a return journey. This then commits you to a particular train both up and back. A return reservation will cost CHF 10, and is not for a particular seat, but for the “reserved seats” carriage, which is separate from the carriages for people without reservations. There will be signs to direct you to the appropriate carriages depending on whether or not you have a reservation.

Reservations – once made – are not refundable and can’t be exchanged for another date or time. So don’t buy it any earlier than the day before, after checking the weather forecast and satisfying yourself that the weather will be clear. You can get reservations from any staffed railway station in the Jungfrau Region, e.g. Wengen, Grindelwald.

Weather can be checked here:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/weather/#jungf raujoch

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:12:33 #881333

Hi Alpenrose,

So how does that reservation process work in practice? Does the “reserved” carriage have “x” seats and they sell “x” reservations? Is there only one such carriage or do they sell as many reservations as they can and mark as many carriages as needed to meet the demand?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:45:48 #881334

>> Does the “reserved” carriage have “x” seats and they sell “x” reservations?

I would think so.

>> do they sell as many reservations as they can and mark as many carriages as needed to meet the demand?

Probably.

Edit: There does seem to be a limit for each departure in the online reservation system. Once the limit is reached, it looks like you would have to choose a different departure time:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/e n/bergbahn/reservation /

I have also seen entire trains marked “Reserved”. Usually they are for organised groups, and run in addition to the scheduled services.

Alpenrose

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Which village in the Jungfrau region is best?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.