Zurich to Innsbruck with Swiss Travel Pass

• Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    22 August 2019 at 15:28:10 #823531

Hello friends

I am going to buy a train ticket from Zurich to Innsbruck(either 14.40 or 16.40 train from Zurich)on a Monday.I have already got it clarified that I only need to get a ticket from Buchs to Innsbruck if I have STP.I have a few questions:

1.Which side of the train gives a better view?

2.I gather that you normally don’t book train seats in Switzerland.However for Zurich-Buchs is there any possibility of overcrowding the 2nd class carriages of train and some passengers having to travel standing up?Does it normally happen in Swiss trains?Is it necessary to make a seat reservation?

4.Will the train be passing through Liechtenstein territory as well?

3.Normally are there security check-ups/delays at the borders?

thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 August 2019 at 4:44:59 #920754

Hi Xmistral99!

Correct, with a valid Swiss Travel Pass you only need tickets as far as Buchs. Your Swiss Travel Pass will cover the rest of your journey:

As for your other questions:

1. For the Swiss part, I would prefer the right side of the train coming from Innsbruck, as you’ll have the lakes Walensee and Zürichsee at your right hand. I can’t comment on the Austrian leg of the route though.

2. That’s right, seat reservations are usually not necessary: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations. If it gets crowded between Buchs and Zurich, you’ll already have a seat anyway so I wouldn’t worry about that. If you like though, you can look for a s0-called “passholder fare” which includes a seat reservation for the entire leg, as well as a discounted ticket Innsbruck-Zurich since your Swiss Travel Pass covers the Swiss leg of the journey. You’ll find it explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/austria.

3./4. Yes, the train will pass Liechtenstein but you’ll hardly notice it. Train conductors may ask for your passport on any part of the journey, but other than that there are no checks or delays.

• The thread ‘Zurich to Innsbruck with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.