Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Train from Zurich to Uetliberg mountain

Train from Zurich to Uetliberg mountain

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Judyzoo
Judyzoo
12 posts
Sep 11, 2019 - 5:08 PM

Is the train from Zurich main station to Uetliberg Mountain covered by the Swiss Travel Pass? Is it a regular train or some kind of excursion train (possibly S10)?

Ildiko
Ildiko
818 posts
top member &
Sep 11, 2019 - 6:05 PM in reply to Judyzoo

Hi Judyzoo and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, you can get from Zurich main station to Uetliberg with your Swiss Travel Pass. You can check the validity map at www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. (Make sure to download the map, it helps a lot.).

According to the timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) it is an S10 train.

If you would like to walk a bit, I suggest you this route from Uetliberg: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/uetliberg-felsenegg

See also: www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Last modified on Sep 13, 2019 - 11:09 AM by Ildiko
1960man
1960man
2547 posts
top member
Sep 11, 2019 - 11:07 PM in reply to Judyzoo

The Uetliberg railway is not unique *** but is a comparitively unusual example of a 'normal' commuter railway as well as being a mountain railway lying virtually surrounded by an urban conurbation. As it is a 'normal' part of the Swiss national network it is included in the STP

*** - not unique because there are others such as Holmenkollen in Oslo

Judyzoo
Judyzoo
12 posts
Sep 12, 2019 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the information; I'm looking forward to it! How cold might it be on the mountain in late November?

Ildiko
Ildiko
818 posts
top member &
Sep 12, 2019 - 3:40 PM in reply to Judyzoo

Uetliberg is not that high, it's elevation is 870 m. So I think it will be similar to Zurich. According to the averages from the past, somewhere between 4-7 °C: www.yr.no/place/Switze rland/Z%C3%BCrich/Send eturm_Uetliberg/statis tics.html. But weather in Switzerland can change very quickly so make sure you check the weather forcast one we get closer to your travel dates.

Learn more about the weather in Switzerland at www.myswissalps.com/we ather and about the forecasts at www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast.

Kmjtwinnie
Kmjtwinnie
4 posts
Sep 21, 2019 - 6:52 AM in reply to Ildiko

Hi

I like your suggestion about walking/hiking from Uetliberg. I am travelling to Switzerland during end of Dec, and is my first time. I stay in tropical all my life, so want to ask if is a crazy idea to take a walk during winter, between 26 to 31 Dec?

Anna
Anna
720 posts
top member &
Sep 21, 2019 - 4:12 PM

Hi Kmjtwinnie,

There's a hiking trail on Uetliberg called the Uetliberg Panorama Planet Trail: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/uetliberg -felsenegg. The trail is about 5.5km. It is open all year even in winter. The trail starts at the Uetliberg station and ends at the Felsenegg cable car station near Adliswil. From here you can take the train back to Zurich. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, the whole journey will cost you nothing but a good stroll and some wonderful views of Zurich: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Make sure you keep warm in winter!

Anna

Last modified on Sep 22, 2019 - 5:25 AM by Annika
Kmjtwinnie
Kmjtwinnie
4 posts
Sep 28, 2019 - 7:18 AM in reply to Anna

Thanks Anna, I guess I will give it a try; : )

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020