Best train pass for 20 days Switzerland and Italy

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
KarenA
KarenA
3 posts
Mar 18, 2018 - 6:42 PM

I'm trying to get a better handle on the trains. This is a rough outline.

I don't know if a train pass - half saver or something is a smart option for Switzerland or if a 2 country rail pass (Switzerland/Italy) is the best option...?

Here is the Switz plan so far:

July 12 - Arrive Zurich - 9:15am - train to Lucerne - overnight (Mt Titus - possibly and/or cruise on Lake)

July 13th - train to Wengen mid - late afternoon - arrive Wengen early evening

July 13, 14, 15, 16 - overnight in Wengen: Schilthorn, Jungfrau, Trummelbach waterfalls - hiking (although I don't know real specifics)

July 16 - early morning - train to Stresa, Lake Maggiore OR is it easier to get to Lake Como (Varenna)? We plan to visit both Lakes along with Cinque Terre - trying to figure out if one lake over the other from Switzerland makes more sense logistically..?

We will be traveling in Italy (Lake Maggiore, Lake Como, Cinque Terre, Dolomites, possibly Verona or Venice) flying out of Milan. 20 days for both countries.

Thank you in advance :)

rockoyster
rockoyster
4074 posts
expert
Mar 19, 2018 - 2:20 AM in reply to KarenA

Hi KarenA and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The 2 country Eurail Pass in Switzerland is really only much use for the main intercity routes. Once you head up into the mountains the discrete Swiss Travel Pass makes more sense.

You only seem to be in Switzerland for 5 days so a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass ) should work for you. The Jungfrau Travel Pass or the Bernese Oberland Pass may work too (see www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpasses). Be sure to check the "where it's valid" tab for each pass.

You will probably need a point to point ticket or Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) to cover you journey to the Swiss border on 16 July.

You really need to work your way through “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

From there you will need tickets to wherever you want to go in Italy. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out routes and timing both within Switzerland and from Switzerland to Italian destinations. See also www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

KarenA
KarenA
3 posts
Mar 23, 2018 - 1:24 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you so much for your help - looks like have some homework for this weekend that I really need to get a better handle on - thank u for the helpful links!!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018