Catching train to Grindelwald from Zurich Airport

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 17:02:21 #821488

Hi

Our family (2 adults and 2 kids) were in switzerland in June.

We were travelling to Grindlewald from Zurich. After two days from there to Zermatt and later back to Zurich.

Had few questions on the trains travel

a) Was checking Zurich grindlewald showed three changes. Is there any other direct or shorter train?

b) Similarly was showing Grindlewalk to Zermatt as three train changes?

c) With three trains in 6 days, Is it better to take the Swiss pass or a 50% Card?

d) Any other tips on travel will be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Manish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Luke
    Participant
    105 posts
    6 May 2019 at 19:09:26 #911742

Hi Manesh and welcome to MySwissAlps!

a). You can do that trip in as little as 2 changes. The timetable always gives you the most direct routing: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

b) Correct. 3 changes.

c) Only 3 trips by train (and also boat, gondola and bus?) probably means the Swiss Half Fare Card is best. But you have to take ALL trips into account (including mountain trips). see links below:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 23:09:28 #911743

Direct main line route Zurich – Grindelwald is via Bern, changing trains 2 times (at Bern and at Interlaken)

Grindelwald – Zermatt can never be fewer than 3 changes of train as the railway up to Zermatt is narrow gauge, so usually you would change at Interlaken Ost, Spiez and Visp

L_Fun
    Participant
    17 posts
    7 May 2019 at 0:27:06 #911744

Hi,

My husband and I (in our 50s) will also be travelling from Zurich to Grindalwald. May I check it it is realistic for us to clear immigartion to catch the 4.46pm or 5.08pm train, assuming our flight is on time?

We were told by a friend that it may be troublesome to lug our luggage over the corssings to change train and are advised to use the luggage service from Zurich. May I know if there are escalator or lifts at the train stations so that the lugging of bags and luggage would actually be doable?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

Fun

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2019 at 0:45:41 #911745

Hello Fun,

How long are you allowing between touch down and the train departure? The 4:46pm only has 2 changes at Bern and Interlaken Ost. The 5:18pm departure has an additional train change at Spiez.

Luggage is no problem. There are ramps or escalators as needed.

L_Fun
    Participant
    17 posts
    7 May 2019 at 1:15:40 #911746

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you for the information.

We land at 4pm, so at most, it would be 45mins from touch down to Boarding the train. We think it is very very tight, (we aren’t sure where the train station is) but our host suggested we buy the 4.46pm train.

Do you think about the train after 5.08pm (I think around 5.30pm) would be more realistic?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2019 at 3:42:06 #911747

Hi Fun,

You might make the 4:46 if your flight is on time. Zurich is a pretty efficient airport and the station is right there. See http://www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/zurich.

You don’t have to buy a ticket for a particular departure unless you are trying to save money by getting a Supersaver Fare which only applies to a specific departure.

When are you travelling? If mid week then one of the things you need to watch is that you will arrive at Bern at peak hour and looking at the connections you will make for Bern to Spiez the trains this week are showing high expected occupancy (presumably with commuters exiting the city). See the red figures on the attached.

L_Fun
    Participant
    17 posts
    7 May 2019 at 5:27:50 #911748

Thank you, Rockoyster, for being such a great help.

Will take note of your advice. We are arriving on 23 May, a Thurs. I suppose our friend recommended that we buy the tickets in advance to save some money as well as time, so that we could hop onto the train asap after clearing immigration.

Best Regards,

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2019 at 5:35:23 #911749

You’re welcome Fun. You can still buy a regular (not Supersaver) ticket in advance and you can then use that on any train on that route on your arrival date.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2019 at 9:06:58 #911750

Hi L Fun,

Should you want to purchase a regular ticket online to already hold it upon arrival please go here:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2019 at 10:08:55 #911751

Hi

Thank you for the reverts

if I buy the ticket in advance can I take any train or the one that I have selected while booking

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2019 at 10:11:52 #911752

Hello Mani77,

If you book just a regular ticket (NOT a supersaver ticket) you can take any train on that date.

Best,
    Steph

L_Fun
    Participant
    17 posts
    7 May 2019 at 10:33:42 #911753

Hi Steph,

Thank you for the link! Appreciate it!

Fun

• The thread ‘Catching train to Grindelwald from Zurich Airport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.