Last train Lucerne to Grindelwald Grund at 5 PM?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2017 at 13:05:45 #811178

HI

6/2 train from Lucerne to Grindelwald Grund. Looking at timetable last train leaves at 5PM 2:47 hrs. Later trains are at night and 6 to 7 hrs ride. Not sure if this is correct?

I have STP. Should I take golden pass train Lucerne to Interlaken which is supposed to be very scenic and then go to Grindelwald Grund where I am staying for 4 nights?

Is there a faster train to Grindelwald ground?

Thx

Rika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2017 at 14:38:07 #860463

Hi Rika,

Yes, that’s correct. Grindelwald Grund is on the rail line to Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch. Trains don’t operate at night as there are no villages there. If you enter just Grindelwald as your destination (the main station), you’ll get later options too.

There are no faster trains. The timetable shows the fastest way to get there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2017 at 23:03:32 #860464

My 2nd question was if I should take golden pass route from Lucerne to Interlaken and then local train to Grindelwald grund.

Thx

Rika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 1:30:18 #860465

I have four days without Swiss travel pass. 5/30, 5/31,6/9 & 6/10. Visit in those days will be Rhine falls, train to Lucerne and from Zurich airport into city center, Train Montreux to Zermatt & visit Matterhorn and return train Zermatt to Zurich airport

What is the best option. Buy an swiss discount pass or individual tickets.

Please advice

Thx

Rika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 8:06:04 #860466

HI Rika,

You will be on the Golden Pass route from Luzern to Interlaken (it is the only route between these two towns. When you check the timetable you will see you are on the Luzern – Interlaken Express and then change trains in Interlaken.

I think you decided on the All Day Pass for Zurich for 30 and 31/5? That covers Zurich and the RheinFall trips. As for 6/9 and 6/10 if those are the days you are going to Zermatt you probably can just buy point to point tickets for those 2 trips. I don’t think a Swiss Travel Pass would be cheaper for you.

As a final option to cover all 4 days you could buy a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex which you can then use for those 4 separate days.

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 March 2017 at 13:19:37 #860467

Hi Rika,

It looks like you’re talking about the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass, right? If you already purchased it, then take a look at Lucas’s suggestions. If not, then simply buy the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass. While this may feel like much more than you need, it actually only costs CHF 82 more. That’s just CHF 20.50 for each for your extra days. Just a return ticket Montreux to Zermatt will cost you much more than that. Please see here to find prices and purchase options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 16:04:24 #860468

Can i change 8 day swiss travel pass(SWP) to 15 day?

It might make sense to do that then I don’t have to pay for each ticket and also it would cover all the rides like Matterhorn

Your input is very helpful

Thx

Rika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 17:37:06 #860469

Hi Rika,

You will have to talk to the company you bought it with. There is most likely a change or re-booking free involved.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 3:36:52 #860470

I have written to SBB about the change of ticket. It makes sense to get the 15 day pass, saves the hassle of getting train of each location.

Your suggestion were very helpful

Thx

Rika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 5:05:58 #860471

there are many trains going from Interlaken to grindelwald grunt. Does it make sense to take golden pass route Lucerne to Interlaken ost and then catch another train to grindelwald grunt?

Rika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 10:14:17 #860472

Hi Rika,

All the trains from Luzern to Grindelwald Grund etc will go on the Golden Pass route to Interlaken (the train is called Luzern-Interlaken Express). This is the standard and most direct route. You can check the timetable here to see times and the trains you will be on.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 14:41:49 #860473

thank you for you help.

Do I need to reserve seat for this goldenpass train to Interlaken most?

Thx

Rika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 17:06:41 #860474

For Luzern to Interlaken Ost? No, reservations are not needed on that section.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 20:02:03 #860475

thanks very helpful

Rika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 20:06:53 #860476

HI Lucas

I am confused. Just saw your 2nd email which says i should book GPT on MOB site. another email says reservation Lucern to Interlaken ost is not needed.

Please clarify

Rika

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 March 2017 at 5:09:36 #860477

Hi Rika,

It’s about two different sections. Reservations are recommended for Zweisimmen – Montreux only.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 March 2017 at 7:15:45 #860478

Hi Rika-

I read the whole thread, and have a couple of comments-

1.- I think a map would help you a lot with some of your questions. In particular, you can seet hat Grindelwald Grund Station is very close to Grindelwald Station. It is a short downhill walk, of about 1/2 a kilometer, but if you do it with luggage, you’ll want to have it on wheels.

The main tourist center is Grindelwald itself.

This very convenient map (map.search.ch) will help you see that, even though it does not list actual altitudes:

map.search.ch/Grindelw ald,Grundstr.

If you use the menus on this map under “Points of interest/ traffic”, you can turn on a layer with the public transport stations.

You can use this map to easily follow the train route from Luzern to Interlaken and on to Montreux. The train line only appears when you zoom in.

Another map gives more details, including altitudes and hiking trails. It also shows train lines, and you do not have to zoom in to see them (black lines) but the detail may be confusing.:

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=5&X= 644530&Y=163840&layers =Wanderland

2.- Either map, combined with the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

will show you that the trains that go to interlaken let you off there, and (if you wish to go onward into the valley and then the high alps) you must change to a different rail line to go to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. If you wish to continue further to Kleine Scheidegg or the Jungfrau, you will make another change at either Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald to the special cograil train that goes up the mountain.

Hope this helps. It gives just a bit more detail than the other posts. Perhaps you have al;ready figured it out, but I thought it might help.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 13:47:13 #860479

All of you are very helpful and with very good guidelines and links. The forum has been extremely helpful for new travelers.

Thanks,
    Rika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 15:50:03 #860480

We’re happy to help Rika!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Last train Lucerne to Grindelwald Grund at 5 PM?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.