Train options Lucerne to Bernina Suot/Pontresina

• charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    24 June 2018 at 21:39:16 #816871

Need guidance in the best options to get from Lucerne to Bernina Suot.

Staying at the Gasthaus & Hotel Berninahaus at Bernina Suot.

Would Lucerne via Thalwil or Zurich HB to Chur be best and then not sure what would be best after that. We are taking the Glacier Express a few days later so it is not necessary to connect with the Glacier Express . Thoughts?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 0:01:18 #889331

Yes, standard route is:

Luzern – Thalwil (change) – Chur (SBB)

Chur – Samedan (change) – Pontresina (RhB main line)

Pontresina – Bernina Suot (RhB Bernina line)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 June 2018 at 0:08:56 #889332

If you skip Chur and “turn left” at Landquart and go round the “back way” to Samedan will see some different country to that which you will see on the Glacier Express a few days later.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 June 2018 at 3:20:50 #889333

. . . and for something “completely” different take the Voralpen Express from Luzern to Uznach then on to Landquart via Sargans. See attached.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    25 June 2018 at 10:47:21 #889334

Voralpen Epress from Luzerne to Uznach to Landquart via Sargans – are you suggesting this is the most scenic route and is this the route or is there a “via”?

Also Rockoyster I didn’t understand your “turn left at Landquart – are you saying Luzerne to Landquart to Samedan to Pontresina or is there a “via”?

Of all the options which is the most scenic and which is the fastest route?

We will be doing the Glacier express two days later from St. Mortz to Zermatt. (8 hours)

Additionally we will have another long train journey a few days later when we do the Train from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen either via Kandersteg which is 4 1/2 hours or not via which is: 3 hrs..

Want to be sure if I am spending lots of time on a train I am seeing different scenery….I know it’s all beautiful though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 5:24:54 #889335

I think the route is quite nice from Lucerne to Uznach on the Voralpen Express – I’d take that route over goinv via Zurich/Thalwil.

It might be easier to look at Google Maps to understand the suggestions for Landquart to Samedan – this route doesn’t go via Chur (which you will do on the Glacier Express later). I can’t say it is a better view – just avoids the same views twice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 8:30:37 #889336

>> Also Rockoyster I didn’t understand your “turn left at Landquart –

I think rockoyster is referring to the Engadine Star route.

See attached diagram:

• The Glacier Express route is Chur-Thusis-Filisur-Samedan-St Moritz
    • The alternative route, which is sometimes called the Engadine Star route, is Landquart-Klosters-(Vereina Tunnel)-Sagliains-Samedan-St Moritz. It is also very scenic.

For a description of this trip (in the reverse direction, with photos) see my post of Feb 28, 2017 – 4:36 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/chur-to-st-moritz-via-davos

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 June 2018 at 8:36:49 #889337

Hi Alpenrose,

I was just looking at the map from Uznach to Chur and the “turn left at Landquart” seemed the most obvious way to describe what I meant. Now I learn there is an Engadine Star! May the Force be with you. 🤓

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    26 June 2018 at 10:40:24 #889338

I went on SBB site and put in Luzern to Samedan via Uznauch (direction St. Gallen)with a departure time on VOE Express of 12:39 arriving in Samedan at 16:57.

Luzerne/Uznauch to Sargans to Lanquardt to Samedan.

Then put in Samedan to Bernina Suot departure 1704 (direction Pontresina) arriving Bernina Suot 17:17.

Total time for both is 4 hours and 47 minutes so about the same as the other route.

So is this route called the Engadine Star route or is that yet another route to consider? Is the Voralpen Express considered a panoramic train and do we need a seat reservation? Is this all covered with our second class STP or do we need to upgrade to first class.

thank you all for your help/suggestions of the alternative route….now we won’t repeat what we are seeing with the Glacier express.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 June 2018 at 10:43:38 #889339

They are all just regular trains with fancy names. Just hop on with your STP.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    27 June 2018 at 16:18:15 #889340

Ok so I understand this route is covered with my STP and there is no additional expense for the Voralpen Train……Could you look at my route post and tell me if I have it correct….

I went on SBB site and put in Luzern to Samedan via Uznauch (direction St. Gallen)with a departure time on VOE Express of 12:39 arriving in Samedan at 16:57.

Luzerne/Uznauch to Sargans to Lanquardt to Samedan.

Then put in Samedan to Bernina Suot departure 1704 (direction Pontresina) arriving Bernina Suot 17:17.

Total time for both is 4 hours and 47 minutes so about the same as the other route.

So is this route called the Engadine Star route or is that yet another route to consider? Is the Voralpen Express considered a panoramic train and do we need a seat reservation? Is this all covered with our second class STP or do we need to upgrade to first class.

Thank you…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 18:49:13 #889341

You look all set. The Engadine Star runs: Landquart – Klosters – Zernez – St. Moritz

Neither are panoramic express trains no – just regular trains you can use your 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass on and no reservations needed.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    27 June 2018 at 18:55:39 #889342

Ok thanks Lucas….so then part of my journey would be part of the Engadine Star route then right? Landquart to Samedan part? Still a little confused.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 19:05:08 #889343

Yes.

Samedan is just a little bit before St. Moritz. So you would be doing 95% of the route.

Make sure the train you go on goes via Klosters and Zernez (and not via Chur).
    Perhaps looking at Google Maps will help you visualize it.

• The thread ‘Train options Lucerne to Bernina Suot/Pontresina’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.