Train or flight from Zurich to Venice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2018 at 6:38:46 #819033

Hello,

While i have got the response on my Swiss itinerary from 08th Feb to 1 5 Feb’19. However, i have one more question on my travel from Zurich to Venice (Return)

Me and my family (Wife and 9year old kid) will travel to Venice from zurich on 15th morning and and come back on 17th Feb (late evening) to catch the flight from Zurich.

I need help on the below point of iron out the mode of transporation

– I am getting good price i.e 360-400 euros from Swiss airlines for return ticket. But the baggage charged is extra so would like to know that is there an option to store 2 luggages in/nearby zurich airport if yes then what would be the cost?

– I have checked trains as well but i am not getting clarity on the fare and it will take 7-8 hours (from interlaken OST) to reach there but i am ok with it if there is a nice view during the journey and they allow me to take the entire luggage (2 suitcase and 1 bag)

– I have read the there is a bus option, i am considering it for one way and return via train and please suggest which company should i opt for and is it comfortable considering i am travelling with my son

Net net i need responses on a) Cost effective ness b) luggage storage option in zurich c) which options seems more viable as i need to catch flight from Zurich late evening

Regards

Ranjan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2018 at 8:01:25 #899540

Hi Ranjan,

• Yes, there are lockers and a left luggage office at Zurich airport. You’ll find details and prices on the link under “more on other websites” here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/zurich
    • Trains are 6.5 to 7 hours from Zurich to Lucerne. It is a nice way to travel and certainly a lot of scenic than a flight. 🙂 It just depends how much time you have on a short 2 day visit to Venice.
    • I don’t have details on buses. Maybe you’ll seen something by FlixBus? In the winter I’d prefer trains I think. Trains also have no limits on your luggage.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2018 at 8:25:55 #899541

Thanks Lucas for the prompt response

Even i was thinking to travel via flight. But my checkout is from interlaken from 15-Feb-19 and my flight from Zurich is at 7:40 am and i it take 2.5 hours to reach Zurich from Interlaken, need help in below queries

1. Is there a train service from Interlaken as early as 4 am so i can reach airport by 6:30 am catch my flight?
    2. Or should i keep my travel light on 14th feb interlaken and leave on same night and stay in a hotel near airport?
    3. Other option is that there is a combination of flight that leave Zuirch at 1 pm for venice but the return flight is at 9 and i will reach back Zurich airport at 11:00 am on 17th Feb and will have good 7 hours for Zurich but i read it it is closed on Sundays

Please suggest which option is more viable me 1,2 or 3?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2018 at 13:36:18 #899542

Hi Ranjan,

If you are leaving from Interlaken that morning than it wouldn’t make sense to fly out from Zurich. I would just take the train from there.

From Venice perhaps fly back depending on flight times and if they work for you – or take the train to Zurich.

The Swiss railways timetable gives you all train departure information: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2018 at 15:26:15 #899543

Thanks Lucas. will evaluate the travel plan and get back if there is more questions..

I might drop the plan of Venice considering there is too much travel and spend more days in Switzerland

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2018 at 16:33:29 #899544

Yes, that might be a good idea. It isn’t Venice (what is) but try Ticino – It is the Italian region of Switzerland. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti cino

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 0:16:48 #899545

Highly recommend not to visit Venice in such a tight time frame. Personally I dislike the place but obviously many people love it.

If you want an Italianate water-side experience within Switzerland just take the train to Locarno. The lake shore is a 5 minute walk from the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 4:20:02 #899546

Thanks..:) i will have a look on the locarno excruison and take the decision. Actually i am not keen to go to Venice but my wife wants to go there as it is one of her dream destination.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 November 2018 at 6:39:46 #899547

Namaste,

I see your visit to Switzerland (and possibly elsewhere) covers a very short amount of time. There is so much more to see in Switzerland than you could ever fit into your short time, so my suggestion is that you leave Venice for another time. Are you planning on using the Swiss Travel Pass during this trip ? If so, you might as well use it to the maximum possible. Locarno is a nice location on Lago Magggiore, and the city which I recommend, which has more interesting physical surroundings, is Lugano, on nearby Lago di Lugano. If you are travelling with the STP, you are entitled to travel on the boats that cruise on Lago di Lugano. You can even go all the way to Porelezza, Italy, but I would only go as far as Gandria, which is lovely. Check out the photos at the link I just inserted, and explore the site for other ideas. My apologies to your wife. Perhaps to do on another trip to Northern Italy and Slovenia and Croatia ?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 November 2018 at 7:00:35 #899548

<< Highly recommend not to visit Venice in such a tight time frame. Personally I dislike the place but obviously many people love it. >> I see that you dislike a number of places but, along with other attractions which we all learned about as kids (like the pyramids at Gizeh) or which we learned about as we became more sophisticated (like Patagonia), Venice is on so many personal checklists. I did it once myself (many years ago, thankfully), and that was enough. A similar example in Switzerland is the Jungfraujoch. I went up once (again, many years ago) and have absolutely no desire to do it again. I can only imagine the crowds, and it’s just a money machine. But there are wonderful places that are still far less commercialized and that’s what I prefer. When I was a teenager and set out to explore Switzerland one Summer, the first place I headed to was the Lauterbrunnen valley, as I had seen photos of it and thought it was so beautiful. Which it is, and I would never dissuade a tourist from seeing that valley.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 7:25:16 #899549

Thanks Peter..I understand that you have extensive knowledge about Swtizerland and i really appreciate it 🙂 . I have dropped the idea of going to Venice and will take my family in next trip.

Below is my Swiss itinerary, reach there at 9 pm on 08-fEB-19 and leave on 17-Feb-19 9 pmd have following queries

1. I hope i am able to add Lugano for 2 night i.e 15th and 16th feb, travelling form Interlaken
    2. I prefer exploring less crowded area and few tourist spots so you can recommend more places
    3. you may review my itinerary and suggest recommendations
    4. Its my 10th anniversary on 14th Feb and want to make it special, you may suggest some other place to spend time and have food if not zermatt (as i have planned that on 14th)

I am on swiss family card (will purchase from india as getting an addtional day),

08-Feb-19: Land Zurich late evening

09-Feb-19: 1) Visit Bahnhoffstrasse shops, the Beyer Watch Museum (Uhrenmuseum ), Grand church (Grossmunster) and Lake Zurich

10-Feb-19: Full day excursion to Mt titlis and go to Trubsee (If time permits)

11-Feb-19: Check out from Zurich and move to Interlaken, visit lake Thun and Panoramabrucke Sigriswil

12-Feb-19: Interlaken OST to Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen and return via Grindelwald

13-Feb-19: Visit mt Rigi and transport museum and comeback to Interlaken

14-Feb-19: Travel to Zermatt, take Matterhorn glacier paradise and Gornergrat (If time permits) and come back to Interlaken

Thanks

Ranjan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 7:36:12 #899550

I completely agree with you and even i crave for quiet and non toursity places..i had a solo trip to cyprus last year and understood that there is lot of good place which many of us in India never heard of.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 7:45:48 #899551

Hi Ranjan,

The Swiss Family Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard) is for children to travel free with parents who have the Swiss Travel Pass. So you and your wife each need a Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) and then you add on the free Swiss Family Card to cover your child’s travel.

On Feb.14 I would stay in Zermatt (http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt) and then on the 15th head to Locarno (http://www.myswissalps.com/lo carno) or Lugano (http://www.myswissalps.com/lu gano) in the Ticino region (much simpler from Zernatt…or stay in Zermatt). I think Zermatt would make for a great destination for an anniversary and lots of snow fun for your child.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 7:51:35 #899552

Thanks Bud..will do that and appreciate the efforts of all that put in helping tourist like me

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 November 2018 at 11:06:11 #899553

Hello Ranjan,

What time is your flight back to India (on Sunday 17 February) ? Depending on this you may want to take the train back to Zurich on the afternoon of Saturday the 16th. I have been looking at your itinerary and think you are doing too much unnecessary back and forth travel. For instance, on Sunday the 10th, why go from Zurich to the Titlis, which is beyond Lucerne, and then back to Zurich if on the very next day you are planning to go to Interlaken ? And why, on the 13th, after you are in Interlaken, would you go back to the Lucerne area to do the Rigi and the Transport Museum and then back to Interlaken ? Here is what I think makes more sense:

Fri o8 Feb – arrive late Zurich, overnight in Zurich

Sat 09 Feb – what you have planned, overnight in Zurich or evening train to Lucerne and overnight there

Sun 10 Feb – what you have planned (Titlis Trüebsee), overnight in Lucerne

Mon 11 Feb – what you had planned for the 13th (Rigi, Transport Museum), overnight in Lucerne

Tues 12 Feb – what you had planned for the 11th (Thunersee, Sigriswil), overnight in Interlaken

Wed 13 Feb – what you had planned for the 12th (Jungfraujoch), overnight in Interlaken

Thu 14 Feb – what you had planned for this day, but with overnight in Zermatt

Fri 15 Feb – leave Zermatt early morning, train to Lugano via Locarno, overnight in Lugano

Sat 16 Feb – half day in Lugano, afternoon train to Zurich, overnight in Zurich

Sun 17 Feb – depends on how much time you have before you have to get to airport

Notes: You could consider switching the activities for February 10 and 11. You might then find it easier to get to Interlaken at the end of the day on the 11th. You could also switch your activities on the the 12th and the 13th, depending on the weather. No use wasting your money on the Jungfraujoch if the weather is not any good. If you hearts are not set on the Jungfraujoch, there are other options (also less expensive ones) in the area, such as the Schilthorn, the Harder Kulm, and the Niesen. Whichever way you decide, it would be nice if you could get to Zermatt at the end of the day on the 13th. That would give you a full day in Zermatt on your anniversary day. I am somewhat concerned about how long it takes to get from Zermatt to to Locarno (as Lucas has suggested). Locarno to Lugano is the easy part (usually less than an hour)! I am going to check on the Centovalli run between Domodossala and Locarno. centovalli.ch/en/railw ay/centovalli-railway/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 12:18:50 #899554

thanks Peter for sharing the detailed plan

While i will review it in detail but i am thinking that the i have to change the base 4 times in the itinerary shared and lot of my time will go into it although i understand that Titlis is nearer from Lucerne and will save the travel time

your thoughts on changing base so many times? my preferance is 3 bases (Zurich, Lucerne or interlaken and Lugano

My flight is at 9 pm from Zurich on 17th Feb and i read somewhere that zurich is closed on Sunday so i was planning to stay somewhere else on 17th and directlt reach to the airport in evening

Regards

Ranjan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 7:51:32 #899555

Hi Ranjan,

It is certainly quiet on Sundays but Zurich isn’t closed. It is probably the best town to be in on a Sunday (as it is the biggest town).

Choosing base towns is tricky. I’m a fan of the fewer the better but it depends on how long that turns day trips into. Sometimes moving around more is needed due to travel plans. I’d try and simply do less during your stay. – but that is just my personal opinion. It is tempting to do as much as possible if you think you will never get a chance to return!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 9:19:14 #899556

Hello Lucas,

Even i dont like too much travel or excursion as it drains you after the holiday and then you look for another holiday in few months 🙂

I plan full day excusion alternate day and half day out on the other day by staying in fewer base towns

I will review which all towns are nearer in terms of train travel to Titlis, Zermatt,Jungfraujoch and Locarno and plan accordingly

One thing is for sure that Venice is completely out of picture

• The thread ‘Train or flight from Zurich to Venice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.