Train pass for 5 days, 4 cities?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2014 at 13:38:59 #806389

Hi:

My husband and I are planning a trip in June. We will be traveling from Basel to Lauterbrunnen and plan to stay three nights to hike and sightsee in the Lauterbrunnen area, then to Lucerne for a day, finally to Zurich for a day and a half before flying home. Which type of rail pass would make the most sense. I understand that in hiking and sightseeing in Lauterbrunnen area, we may take some cable cars and private trains to get around. Also, do we need advance reservations from Basel to Lauterbrunnen?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 May 2014 at 14:32:18 #840051

Hi mebutton,

You don’t need to book trains in advance, expect for the panoramic tourist trains. See here for details.

As for the pass: A Swiss Half Fare Card makes sense (50% off almost any trip), as well as a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass (free traveling on a few days, discounts on the other days). If ordered before June 6, you will get a $50 discount on Swiss (Flexi) Passes. See here for details, or this forum post to discuss this offer. For pass details, see the links I gave you. In order to choose between the two, this page should help.

I hope this was useful!

• The thread ‘Train pass for 5 days, 4 cities?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.