Train pass options for Switzerland-Paris

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 1:47:46 #884013

I checked prices at midday but I couldnt buy (purchase rejected). Then I came back and I bought Zurique-Luzern. But now Luzern-Geneve and Geneve-Paris are twice the original price!! 🙁

The site says that no longer there is supersaver tickets! How could that be possible? I am going to travel by mid-june!

Now my individuals tickets should be almost the price of a eurail select pass (2 countries). Sooooo expensive!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 16:21:46 #884014

Hi falajames,

The SuperSaver come and go depending on demand for the route unfortunately. It is possible you’ll find one before you go for the date you want.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 0:11:39 #884015

I managed to buy Luzern-Geneva, thanks you all for all the help! Now there is only one route left, Geneva-Paris. I’ll keep trying to find supersaver tickets! Do you guys know if there is a best day or nighttime?

Is there a cheapest website (or company) to make seat reservations? I dont quite understand why I buy a ticket for a specific train and schedule and I still dont get to make seat reservations automatically! Is this true that I can be “without seat” to travel even considering that I have a specific ticket for a travel?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 8:21:29 #884016

Hi falajames,

There is no general rule for the Super Saver Tickets. You have to have a bit of luck.

I book my tickets to Paris through the SBB website and that includes the cost for seat reservations. I see, you have a Eurail Select pass. Maybe one of the retailers that we have listed on our website can offer you a good price: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations/price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 9:56:22 #884017

Actually I dont have pass. Im buying tickets individually ate SBB.

I was told that I should or its recommended to make seat reservations. In case of the route Zweisimmen-Montreux it seems to be mandatory.

I have the following trips:

Zurich-Luzern

Luzern-Geneva (over Interlaken, Zweisimmen and Montreux)

Geneva-Paris (still got to buy)

How do I know in which cases the tickets already include the cost of seat reservations?

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 12:42:39 #884018

You don’t need seat reservations for your trips in Switzerland. Reservations for the Zweisimmen-Montreux route are recommended. You can reserve seats here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/packages.

Normally when you purchase your ticket to Paris, it will tell you whether it’s including reservation costs or not.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 1:19:59 #884019

Im sorry for all the doubts, really! But it is a bit difficult to understand…

So I buy a train ticket for a specific travel but I cant be sure I’ll have a seat in it? And if I dont I loose my ticket?

And this can only happen with the route Zweisimmen-Montreux? What about the other ones I bought, Zurich-Lucern, Lucern-Zweisimmen and Montreux-Geneve?

OK, lets forget this awkard thing…I am going to make a seat reservation at Raileurope…and its 60 euros for a couple, almost the same price I paid for the tickets! Is that right?

I try at HappyRail and it shows me only the time and the train (zweisimmen-montreux) and it costs 36 CHF. Much less expensive but it is the same thing than Raileurop (a seat reservation for the train who goes from Zweisimmen to Montreux)?

I also tried at ACPRail but it seems they dont sell online. Can it be cheaper?

Thanks a lot and sorry again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 1:23:36 #884020

Theres also the route Lucern-Interlaken. So its not Lucern-Zweisimmen but Interlaken-Zweisimmen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 1:35:54 #884021

Lets consider I made the seat reservation for Zweisimmen-Montreux but I didnt for Lucern-Interlaken. As I’ll make all the route from Lucern to Geneve in the same day (just a few minuts between switching trains), if I loose the train Lucern-Interlaken because it is overbooked I will loose all the tickets until Geneve?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 1:42:26 #884022

In ultimate case I can travel standing up?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 May 2018 at 4:10:23 #884023

You can travel standing up if you have a ticket and no seat reservation.

The chances of having to stand up are pretty slim apart from the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg where reservations are recommended during tourist season. You can make reservations at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Just change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end pints to suit. And click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”)

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 May 2018 at 6:03:04 #884024

Hi Falajames,

I checked Happyrail at https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/passholder-fares-golden-pass and they charge CHF 18 per person which seems right to me. Other than that, don’t overthink train travel: the whole system is designed to be simple and flexible. You won’t loose tickets and trains don’t get overbooked. It’s as simple as subways: you don’t book specific trains, you simply buy a ticket or pass and board any train you like. As Rockoyster said, in a very rare cases seats may all be occupied so you stand for a while. I only experienced that a few times in many years of visiting Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 11:53:52 #884025

So despite my tickets have a specific schedule if I loose one train I can easily get the next without any extra costs? Remembering that I bought supersaver tickets and they dont seem to be refundable or exchangeable…

I checked Luzern-Interlaken and there are only 13 free second class seats. Quite a few, right? Is that all or not all seats are previously reserveable? Im asking because I intend not to reserve as it is not recommended…

At rockoyster link (mob.ch) two seat reservations are half price than happyrail. Thanks!

At SBB (http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/adw.do?sprache=en&artikelnumm er=1993) seats are not available for Zweisimmen-Montreux. Do you guys know why?

Thanks, have a nice day!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 15:29:43 #884026

SuperSaver tickets are valid for the date and time you bought them for only. All other tickets can be used at any time on the date of travel.

Only 13 2nd class seats on the whole train? That is not many, I’m quite surprised though. If you want to travel on that specific departure time then perhaps you should reserve.

Seats for Zweisimmen to Montreux are not available on a certain departure? It is quite possible that the train is full on that section.
    The Luzern – Interlaken departure is strange (group booking perhaps) but not this one – it is busy in the summer.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 May 2018 at 20:41:49 #884027

The Luzern – Interlaken Express is a regular commuter train. You can not rely on the number of seats available at the MOB site to show how many seats are free on the whole train. MOB only have a portion of the train listed.

Why are you trying to reserve seats Zweisimmen to Montreux using the SBB site? You should use the MOB link.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 0:52:42 #884028

I could observe that some carriages are shown but not available for seat reservations.

There is also some carriages that have compulsory consumption. How does that work?

If supersaver tickets are valid just for a specific date and time then I should or have a seat reservation already included or be reimbursed if there is no seat for me at all. Doesnt that make more sense?

Thanks guys.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2018 at 3:20:14 #884029

“Compulsory consumption” is in the buffet car. I’m not sure how much you are obliged to consume. Maybe just a cup of coffee?

Supersaver tickets do not provide a seat reservation. You have to make reservations seperate to the ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 6:40:49 #884030

I’m not sure what compulsory consumption means…reservations are not required (compulsory) on the Luzern-Interlaken Express.

Tickets, Supersaver or not, do not come with a seat reservation. You may have to stand on the train if it is full. But I would be very surprised if that happened. If you want to be 100% sure you get a seat to sit on for the whole trip you can make reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 7:23:25 #884031

Weird technical hiccup and did not see your post Rockoyster! Glad you knew about compulsory consumption….haha

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2018 at 7:24:39 #884032

Hi Lucas,

I’ve seen “complusory consumption” mentioned before somewhere but can’t recall where. Pretty sure it was related to the restaurant car on the L-I Express. Implication is you can’t sit in the restaurant car without actually partaking of the goodies. You can’t be just a seat warmer.

How about “You can book seats in the SBB Restaurant (coach) up to one day before departure, direct at the SBB ticket counter or by telephone via Rail Service 0848 44 66 88 (CHF 0.08/min.). We deduct the booking supplement of CHF 5 per seat from your meal bill.” See http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/on-the-train/rail-catering.html. Beer should count as a meal. 😎

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The thread ‘Train pass options for Switzerland-Paris’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.