Swiss Travel Pass and another for 12 days?

Swiss Travel Pass and another for 12 days?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Neverpc
Neverpc
2 posts
Jun 25, 2018 - 4:21 PM

Hi. I am traveling September 25-oct 5. Two nights in the Lucerne area, three nights in wengen. To in Zermatt and two in Bern before finishing in Zurich.

i am confused about which train pass(s) are the most appropriate considering where I am going and that I also want to take day trips to interlaken and Basel. Plus the trip to Jungfraujoch etc. should I just buy a Swiss Rail Pass and then get other passes as needed? It just seems that one pass does not fit all, or am I Mistaken? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lucas
Lucas
8881 posts
expert &
Jun 25, 2018 - 7:29 PM in reply to Neverpc

Hi Neverpc and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You're correct that one rail pass does not cover everything that you might do in Switzerland - but the Swiss Travel Pass comes close (just not fully covering all mountains).

I wouldn't think you'd need the Swiss Travel Pass and another rail pass though. The Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days should be all you need. You'll need to buy a few tickets on routes that aren't fully covered on the STP - like Jungfraujoch (https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity) but an additional pass probably isn't worth it unless you spent extensive time in one region that has a regional rail pass.

To know which rail pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. :)

https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

Last modified on Jun 25, 2018 - 7:31 PM by Lucas
Arno
Arno
11155 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2018 - 7:21 AM

Hi Neverpc,

I agree with Lucas, take the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass as it's only CHF 87 more (CHF 21.75 per day in your case). It's convenient and likely to be the cheapest option unless you only plan for very short trips during those 4 remaining days. You'll find prices here: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Neverpc
Neverpc
2 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 2:47 PM

Thank you both. Sounds like that’s the best option. I guess my only real confusion is how do I know which of the trains I will need a seat reservation for?

Arno
Arno
11155 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2018 - 3:34 PM in reply to Neverpc

You're welcome! Your remaining question is explained here: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018