Train problems / delays with reservation

• barbabley
    Participant
    8 posts
    31 May 2017 at 11:59:51 #812059

We arrived in Basal on May 28 and were making our way to Interlaken Ost on 3 day flex pass. Unfortunately there was a tragedy and some committed suicide by jumping in from of the train. We had reserved seats on our train. The journey was suppose to take about three hours. It ended up taking us about 7 hours and we had to stand on packed trains for much of the trip. We had planned to get to Lauterbrunnen and do some exploring of the area using our pass. By the time we reached Lauterbrunnen we were totally exhausted and it was late to start exploring. I realize the events of the day were unusual but we did pay for reserved seating which we only had for less than 30 minutes and no real opportunity to use the flex pass for anything other excursions, other than one point to journey when we had planned to use it more on that day.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 14:35:21 #864297

That is horrible to hear!

You can contact Swiss railways or the retailer you bought the reservations/tickets from to inquire about a refund or compensation for delay -Is that your question?

I’m not sure what the policy is in that situation however.

Lucas

barbabley
    Participant
    8 posts
    1 June 2017 at 3:24:44 #864298

Yes that was my question. We are in Switzerland now. I purchased the tickets through SwissRailil. Is there some at the station in Lucern I can contact?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 6:34:14 #864299

Hi Barbaley,

I’m sorry to hear you had such a disappointing start to your holiday due to that tragedy, and I can understand that you would like to follow up any possibility of compensation.

However, I would also ask: Is it worth wasting your precious holiday time trying to sort this out?

Your Swiss Travel Pass Flex cost CHF 248.00 for 3 days, or CHF 82.66 per day. Your trip from Basel to Lauterbrunnen would normally cost CHF 68.60 in second class. I know you could have done more with your pass on that day had you had time, but really, you are only CHF 14.06 out-of-pocket in a sense.

By all means pursue the possibility of compensation if you want to, but personally, I would rather spend my time sightseeing.

I wish you all the best, and hope that the rest of your holiday leaves you with wonderful memories.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 12:19:39 #864300

Yes, you could talk to someone at the SBB office in Luzern and explain the situation and see if there is anything they can do for you.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Train problems / delays with reservation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.