Paris to Zermatt, is a stop in Lausanne worth it?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 15:45:02 #822335

Good morning,

We are planning a trip to Switzerland. We will be traveling from Paris to Zermatt. Based on the spreadsheet, we’ve determined to that it’s best to do the Half Fare card.

We already booked tickets for Paris to Lausanne. Then we will use the Swiss Half Fare to travel from Lausanne to Zermatt (transfer in Visp)

I have a few of questions:

1. Should we buy our Zermatt train tickets ahead of time or just use the ticket machine once we arrive to Lausanne?
    2. How much time does it take to purchase tickets from the ticket machine? We’ll have about 13 minutes between trains.
    3. We’ll be arriving to Lausanne around lunch time. Is it worth a stop in Lausanne to have lunch and take a later train or should we just keep on to Zermatt? If so, do you have recommendations for lunch?

Thank you for your help! I’ve been doing lots of research for this trip but I couldn’t really find clear answers for the above.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 23:30:59 #915505

It’s ultimately your choice as to how to buy tickets. I always wait to use a ticket machine on arrival, but most of the other regulars on this site will probably suggest you do it /traintickets/switzerl and in advance.

You can buy a ticket from the Swiss machines in as little as 2 – 3 minutes but only if you are familiar with the machines. It may take longer.

However, you should stop in Lausanne, it is an intriguing city. I know of no other city where main city streets cross each other but one is 25 metres above the other…

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 June 2019 at 6:15:00 #915506

Hi Ashinhweiy,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! A regular ticket costs CHF 81, or 40.50 with your Swiss Half Fare Card. You can spend less than that with a Supersaver ticket or Saver Day Pass. Please find information through the below links:

Here’s a city walk suggestion for Lausanne: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lausanne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2019 at 18:57:48 #915507

Great! Thank you both for the feedback. I’ll look into the Saver/Supersaver ticket options!

• The thread ‘Paris to Zermatt, is a stop in Lausanne worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.