For which trains in Europe do I need a reservation

For which trains in Europe do I need a reservation

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
brandone
brandone
4 posts
Apr 23, 2018 - 12:52 PM

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me clear up some confusing items in planning out trip:

1) We will be coming from Freiburg to Lucerne via Basel. Assuming I have a Swiss pass, what ticket do I need to purchase to get from Freiburg to the Swiss border?

2) I have a similar question going from France on a pass to Germany. We'd be either going Paris to Freiburg via Basel or via Karlsrune - what ticket would I need to purchase for the German portion of those legs?

3) For Europe trains in general, how do I determine whether I need to make reservations or not? I'm guessing it would be for high speed trains like Amsterdam to Brussels, Brussels to Paris?

Thanks very much!

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Apr 23, 2018 - 6:02 PM in reply to brandone

Hi brandone,

1. If you're not having a rail pass like a Eurail Global Pass or a Eurail Select Pass you should buy a point-to-point ticket until the boarder which is Basel. Read more here: www.myswissalps.com/tr avel/toswitzerland/tra in/tickets.
  2. Same answer: a point-to-point ticket.
  3. Yes, for high speed trains you need reservations. In Switzerland you only need to book seats for a few scenic trains: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations.
Arno
Arno
10765 posts
expert &
Apr 24, 2018 - 5:26 AM

Hello Brandone,

The timetable shows a reservation icon if a particular train requires seat reservations. This is explained in the reservation link that Chantal gave you. Click to the "How to use" tab.

Last modified on Apr 24, 2018 - 5:26 AM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018