Swiss train reservations and first vs second class

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2019 at 19:59:46 #821003

I am traveling with a party of four from June 21 through June 30. We fly in and out of Zurich and are spending three nights in each in Lucerne, Interlaken and Zermat and finishing with a night in Zurich. We are traveling by train and plan to purchase an 8-day Flex Pass. Should we obtain advance reservations for the trips from city to city? Are carts for luggage readily available at the train stations? What advice do you have in selecting first or second class tickets? Are second class seats comfortable? (Two of us are over six feet tall.). Are there other significant advantages to first class tickets? Thanks very much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2019 at 3:09:06 #909481

Hello CraigS and Welcome to MySwissAlps

You won’t need reservations. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations.

I’m 6-foot tall and found the second class seats perfectly OK. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass. If there is a particular trip you want to upgrade to 1st class for then you can do that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2019 at 2:04:24 #909482

Thanks for the quick advice. Two follow up questions:

What about luggage assistance in train stations? Are there luggage carts or porters?

When we have traveled in the past, we have hired private guides. Do you recommend doing so in Lucerne, the Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen area or Zermatt Would a guide with a car be helpful in any of those areas? Or can we do it ourselves with assistance from guidebooks and our own research?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 April 2019 at 2:32:59 #909483

I don’t remember seeing any porters but then I wasn’t looking. I think there are hand carts at larger stations. But I just travelled with a back pack and a wheelie suit case so had no need for such.

You should be fine to find your way around. There is a large tourist information centre at the NW corner of the Luzern station. Just search the locations you are visiting using this site and you should discover enough to find you way around.

• The thread ‘Swiss train reservations and first vs second class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.