Day trip from Zurich to Jungfraujoch by train

• Birivera
    Participant
    24 posts
    9 October 2019 at 17:56:40 #824135

Hello:

This is my first trip to Switzerland, and therefore, not familiar with traveling by train there, but willing to embark on the adventure. So I’m planning to travel to Jungfraujoch from Zurich HB, on November 10, weather permitting, to return Zurich that night, as my 8-day Swiss guided tour begins the next morning. I would plan to leave be leaving around 6:30-7:00. From looking up the information, I gather that the train trip takes about roughly 4 hours to Jungfraujoch. That means I would be arriving at Jungfraujoch sometime around 11:00ish. If time allows, I would like to make my go-to trip Interlaken – Grindelwald and my return trip via Lauterbrunnen, so that I can stop there and see the valley and falls if time allows. These are my questions:

1. Is traveling by train the fastest means of transportation to Interlaken, in order to reach the Jungfraujoch?

2. I know that the time spent at the mountain top is discretionary, and I don’t plan to linger too long or have a long lunch, etc. but want to enjoy the views and take pictures without rushing to leave. What is a reasonable amount of time needed to enjoy the views and get off the mountain to be able to do other things, such as a stop at Lauterbrunnen?

3. Is it realistic, timewise, for me to do this trip from Zurich and get back by night, at a decent time to get back to my hotel, traveling alone, most likely, as my friend will not be accompanying me?

4. If feasible to make the trip, upon my return to Zurich by train, what are safe means of transportation for me to get back to the hotel? Bus, taxi? I suppose I can inquire about this at the hotel as well. I’m just trying to get as much information ahead of time as possible, being that where I’m from, public transportation at night is not the safest means, and I’m not familiar with your options.

5. My idea to make the return trip from Jungfraujoch through Lauterbrunnen is to, if feasible, make a stop there to hike some in the valley and by the waterfalls. Being that is Fall season and weather is cooler, is the hike feasible and possible?

6. I know there plenty of waterfalls around the valley, but I would like to see at least the most worthy, Staubbach Falls and/or the Trümmelbach Falls. Feel free to suggest any alternative routes/hikes and how I can achieve this if possible, in the shortest time. I am up for the hike, although not planning to run through it ;-), and able to do an easy to moderate short hike, time and weather permitting. Are there train stations in between that I can hop on and hop off in order to maximize time rather than walk for hours?

Thank you for your assistance!

Brenda

• The thread ‘Day trip from Zurich to Jungfraujoch by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.