Buy Swiss train tickets myself or book a tour?

• Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    22 April 2019 at 11:02:22 #821144

I was in Switzerland 10 years ago and want to go back next year. I created my own itinerary starting in Zurich———-we would take the train from Zurich to St. Moritz————next day we would use the Glacier Express to Zermatt——-we would stay in Zermatt for a couple of days———then moving onto Lucerne taking another train———-staying in Lucerne with day trips to Interlaken and Bern.

After doing this I found an 8 day tour on Viator that seemed much more comprehensive taking many scenic trains: it starts in Zurich—–taking the Golden Pass Line———-Lucerne—-Interlaken–overnight Interlaken; next day Interlaken———Montreux (Jungfraujoch & Golden Pass Line Interlaken–Montreux; overnight in Montreux; next day Montreux–Zermatt–overnight Zermatt; Zermatt–St. Moritz using the Glacier Express overnight in St. Moritz; St. Moritz—Lugano using the Bernina Express overnight Lugano; Lugano–Lucerne (Gotthard Panorama Express) Overnight Lucerne. The tour includes all the train tickets and hotels———we are responsible for getting to and from the train stations——–self guided.

I feel they would do a better job getting the correct train tickets for us?

Not sure what to do———-thanks for any help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2019 at 11:52:45 #910094

Before I found this site we thought exactly the same thing. I was completely lost in the booking system for the scenic trains. When I go back and look at the tour we were looking at I see that they had no time in the places we really wanted to spend a few days. We would have had no opportunity to allow for bad weather.

Using this site we’ve been able to negotiate the Swiss ticket system and choose between the various passes. We’ve saved money and we’ve ended up with a better holiday experience, hopefully. (We are yet to travel!).

But, it has been a lot of work – luckily I enjoy the planning as it extends the holiday for me. Each method has its advantages.

Annika
    7103 posts
    22 April 2019 at 14:31:28 #910095

Hi Kathleen! The tour you’ve mentioned is a very complete one indeed, allowing you to see a lot of Switzerland and experience many scenic rides. If you’re not up for the task of planning it yourself, this would be a perfect solution.

Arranging for your own tour is fine too: it’s all a matter of personal preferences. You can “mimick” the Viator tour or any of the sample itineraries provided at myswissalps.com/plantr ip/doityourself/sample itineraries, tweak the details until you’re satisfied and then arrange for your own rail pass (myswissalps.com/swissr ailpasses), hotels (myswissalps.com/hotels) and (if needed) seat reservations (myswissalps.com/train/ reservations). Our section on how to start planning might be of help: myswissalps.com/plantr ip/doityourself.

From your previous topics I can tell you’ve already done some of the orientation and planning work, so you don’t have to start from scratch :-).

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    23 April 2019 at 8:48:24 #910096

Thanks for your help——-I will have to give the independent route a lot of thought.

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    23 April 2019 at 8:54:18 #910097

Thanks for all your help and especially for the links———I find the info mind boggling trying to filter through all the arrangements and knowing what tickets to buy at what level. This trip will definitely be a work in progress.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 April 2019 at 9:20:02 #910098

I understand the challenge! The basics are quite easy though:

• The Swiss Travel Pass includes all trains and buses in Switzerland free of charge, so you don’t need to buy tickets until you decide to go to a mountain top. Those are mostly discounted. The page http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass provides all the details.
    • Very few trains require reservations. You’ll find details on that and where to buy on our scenic train pages: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain. You may need 4 reservations if you want to do all the scenic trains. You need none if you travel on the regular trains on the same routes, with the same views.
    • Hotels can be found and booked through Annika’s link.

Good luck!

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    24 April 2019 at 8:31:19 #910099

Again thanks for all the help——–will have to spend some time studying all the info

• The thread ‘Buy Swiss train tickets myself or book a tour?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.