Scenic train option – one day to/from Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 17:01:05 #814583

Hello,

I have one day in hand, 9th March in Switzerland. I will be located in Zurich. I want to enjoy a scenic train ride. I plan to start from Zurich in the morning, board a scenic train, travel to end destination and then travel back to the same day to Zurich.

Please suggest a suitable train route / train option. Thanks !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 17:27:32 #877569

Hi Zolta and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Do you have all day to do this? Is there a flight that night or anything from Zurich?
    There are no scenic train trips close to Zurich so it will be a long day.

A nice option could the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano (Italy) but the trip is 4 hours each way (plus 1.5 hours to Chur and then return to Zurich).

A more possible option would be to do part of the Golden Pass line. The whole route “Luzern to Montreux” is 5 hours with 3 train changes one-way. Plus Zurich to Luzern is one hour each way.

You could do just the last part of the route to Montreux (from Zweisimmen). This has the panoramic trains on it and is the nicest part. Zurich to Zweisimmen direct takes 2.5 hours with one train change in Bern.

Then 2 hours on to Montreux. Montreux back to Zurich is 3 hours with one train change in Lausanne often.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to help plan out these trips – but either way it makes for a long day.

Lastly you could go just to Interlaken on the Golden Pass route. Part one of this route is Luzern to Interlaken. So 1 hour to Luzern then 2 hours on the Golden Pass route to Interlaken. Then make the trip back to Zurich. This is the shortest option for you.

It all depends on how much time you have that day and how much time you want to be on trains!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 19:04:42 #877570

Hi Lucas,

I am occupied all other days on official job and may have one and half day free ! I think the Golden Pass Route : Luzern to Interlaken & Back ( 2nd class) makes more sense for me. Now on this, I need your further help with a couple of queries.

1. If I take a 2 day “Tell Pass Winter” I think it ensures Luzern to Interlaken and back on the same day ? If yes, when buying this ticket do I need to mention anything specifically to enable this particular trip ? With this ticket can I just go and board the “Golden Pass Panoramic” ?
    2. The golden pass route is till Interlaken Ost or Interlaken West ?
    3. LUZERN-INTERLAKEN EXPRESS – Is this one of the Golden Pass Panoramic train ? I got this name from the https://www.sbb.ch/en/ buying/pages/fahrplan/ fahrplan.xhtml when I searched for trains between Luzern and Interlaken. I am not seeing the name of “Golden Pass Panoramic” train.
    4. What can I do to reserve a seat ?
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2018 at 10:01:53 #877571

Hi Zolta!

I agree, the Luzern to Interlaken trip is the most sensible from Zurich.

1. Yes, the Tell Pass winter covers the trip to Interlaken. Nothing to do/say just hop on the train and show the pass to personnel when asked.
    2. Interlaken Ost
    3. Yes, This is the train you want and part of the Golden Pass route. All direct trains on this route are the Luzern – Interlaken Express trains. There is no “Golden Pass train”. Though the panoramic trains from Zweisimmen to Montreux do say “Golden Pass on them.
    4. No reservations needed. Just hop on – the train runs hourly.

Here is a picture of the Luzern – Interlaken express inside and outside and the “Golden Pass” train from Zweisimmen to Montreux so you can compare – quite similar.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 March 2018 at 10:13:41 #877572

Hello Zolta,

If you are just using the Tell Pass to get from Lucerne to Interlaken then I’m not sure that’s a good plan. You still need to buy a ticket from Zurich to Zug and back before the Tell Pass covers you.

If you want to get the best value from a Tell Pass then you need to go to Pilatus or Titlis or Rigi, not Interlaken.

If you want to take one of the scenic trips Lucas suggested your best bet is a Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details).

• The thread ‘Scenic train option – one day to/from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.