Train schedule from Chamonix to Martigny

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 6:29:52 #816434

How can I locate an online timetable/schedule of trains from Chamonix France directly to Martigny Switzerland? Rick Steves says there are “nearly hourly” direct trains, taking 2 hours.

But no matter how I enter information in either the Swiss rail online site (SBB) or the great German rail site (http://www.bahn.com) every inquiry I make concerning Chamonix to Martigny comes up with only trains running via St. Gervais and Geneva taking 6-8 hours and requiring multiple (5 – 6) changes? How can I locate the schedule for the direct trains?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 8:16:55 #887302

Hi Bhoerger, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Are you looking for connections between 17 Sep and 12 Oct 2018? It appears the Mont-Blanc Express is not running during that period. Unfortunately I can’t find any information about why that is.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 18:37:31 #887303

Yes – I was looking, specifically, for Saturday, September 29, 2018.

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    4 June 2018 at 22:07:51 #887304

Lol is that the same Rick Steves that tells people to go to Gimmelwald?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 0:35:45 #887305

Hi Alpenrose

Thank you for that information. I was thinking of going to Chamonix via Martigny in September! Will have to leave it till another time I guess!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 0:40:58 #887306

Hi Debra

Nothing to do with Rick Steves – more to do with people saying don’t listen to Rick Steves! – but we went to Gimmelwald last year and really liked it for a half day visit – lovely views on a walk through the village and a nice meal in the only inn. Went on from there to Allmendhubel so a nice day all round.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 6:27:18 #887307

>> Yes – I was looking, specifically, for Saturday, September 29, 2018.

Looks like the Mont-Blanc Express is not an option for you then.

What is your final destination for the day? Perhaps getting a bus direct from Chamonix to Geneva would be an option, then continuing from there by train.

I’ve never used that bus myself, but I’m pretty sure there are others on this forum who can give you more information about it. If no-one posts here within the next few days, I suggest you start a new thread to ask about the bus connection between Chamonix and Geneva (if you think that would be a suitable alternative).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 6:29:40 #887308

>> I was thinking of going to Chamonix via Martigny in September! Will have to leave it till another time I guess!

What a shame, Maggie! Maybe next year!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 18:08:17 #887309

Thank you, Alpenrose, for your suggestion.

Actually, we were thinking of proceeding on toward Zermatt, so bus to Geneva is somewhat round-about. Have you any information as to whether there is bus service from Chamonix to Martigny where, presumably, we could then pick up trains to Visp and Zermatt?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 20:02:02 #887310

For your travel dates I believe traveling via Geneva is your only option unfortunately.
    The Swiss railways timetable always gives the most direct routing. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Currently it takes about 4 hours but at the end of September it becomes 7.5 hours and up. 🙁

• The thread ‘Train schedule from Chamonix to Martigny’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.