Train ticket Domodossola – Brig – Zermatt

• daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    21 June 2018 at 10:11:36 #816796

Hi all,

I have purchased train ticket from Milano Centrale to Domodossola because I thought that I should purchase a 8-day Swiss Travel Pass to cover the travel from Domodossola to Brig and then transfer from Brig to Zermatt.

However, I just realize that it is cheaper to purchase a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass and validate it later (for the last 4 days of my 6 days visit in Switzerland. In this case, I will have to purchase a one-way ticket from Domodossola to Brig and from Brig to Zermatt.

I bought Eurocity 34 from Milano Centrale to Domodossola and I know it will continue to go all the way to Brig.

How/Where can I buy the ticket for Domodossola to Brig?

I checked on SBB website and it says:

Domodossola (I) to Brig : 8.20 CHF/person

Should I get off the train (Eurocity 34) and then quickly buy the ticket (from Domodossola to Brig) and then get back onto the train? Eurocity 34 only stops for 5 minutes so is it possible for me to have enough time to buy the ticket?

The next question is, I assume I can also buy the ticket (from Brig to Zermatt) when I arrive at the Brig station, at the counter?

Hopefully someone can help answer.

Thanks in advance

Daifei888

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    21 June 2018 at 14:15:20 #888983

Or, can I purchase the Domodossola (I) to Brig (8.20 CHF/person) ticket online via SBB website?

As my starting point is Milano Centrale, how do I validate this ticket if I don’t get off the train at Domodossola station?

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    21 June 2018 at 14:31:33 #888984

Sorry. I just realize that the 8.20 CHF/person ticket price is only valid if I have a half-fare travel card.

For my case, i think it is 16.40 CHF/person.

I bought the Milano Centrale –> Domodossola e-ticket via Trenitalia (online)

Can I buy the Domodossola–> Brig e-ticket via SBB (online)?

I am a bit confused as when I tried to buy the Domodossola–> Brig e-ticket via Trenitalia (online), it did not allow me to do so. The only option is to buy from Milano Centrale all the way to Brig.

But since I already bought the Milano Centrale –> Domodossola e-ticket, can I use a separate e-ticket from SBB for Domodossola–> Brig?

Sorry for many questions, I am just confused.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 16:06:59 #888985

Hi daifei888,

I would recommend buying one ticket from Domodossola to Zermatt. You can buy it with SBB but sometimes foreign credit cards aren’t accepted. Any of these companies can work to buy tickets from Domodossola to Zermatt: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/ita ly/price

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    21 June 2018 at 16:23:22 #888986

Thanks Lucas.

Assuming I am able to buy the ticket from Domodossola to Zermatt with SBB online, and I still want to stay in the same Eurocity train that departs from Milano Centrale to Domodossola, do I need to validate my e-ticket (for the Domodossola to Zermatt trip) at the Domodossola station or validation of e-ticket is not required? (that means I just keep the ticket with me and if the train conductor comes to check, I just need to show to him?)

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    21 June 2018 at 16:28:27 #888987

I have taken a look at the link you shared, it seems to me that buying with SBB is much cheaper than buying with any of from the list shown.

Did I see it wrongly? Example: If I buy with SBB, it is 56.4CHF for Domodossola to Zermatt.

But if I buy from RailEurope, it is about 82.65CHF (converted from Euro).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 16:59:01 #888988

No you won’t need to validate the ticket at Domodossola. It would be good for the entire trip.

Yes, SBB prices don’t fluctuate but other company’s prices do…so best to buy from whichever site gives you the best deal. Try the Swiss Travel Center too for rail passes only though (official tourist shop for SBB) if you have purchase/credit card problems with SBB.

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    22 June 2018 at 2:09:55 #888989

Noted, thanks again Lucas for your useful info!

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    22 June 2018 at 5:13:36 #888990

Hi Lucas or anyone else,

Do you know if the 4-day + 1-day (free) Swiss Travel Pass promotion will likely be introduced again in Sept 2018? Or based on your experiences, do you think there will be some other promotions for Swiss Travel Pass in Sept?

I am travelling from Milan to Zermatt on 14th Sept and will spend 6 days (until 19th Sept) in Switzerland.

I was originally thinking to buy a 8-day pass.

But then I realized it is more cost effective to buy a 4-day pass and activate it for the last 4 days where the maximum saving will be accrued.

I checked on HappyRail:

4-day pass – 268CHF

8-day pass – 395CHF

price difference = 127CHF

For my first day – I am only travelling from Domodossola to Zermatt (56.4 CHF)

For my second day – I am only taking the Zermatt GGB to Gornergrat (round trip) rides = 98 CHF for round trip (which means only 49CHF of saving (50% discount) if I have a 8-day Swiss Travel Pass).

Therefore, in total, I am only saving 56.4 + 49 = 105.4 CHF if I buy a 8-day pass. But the price difference between 4-day and 8-day is 127 CHF (>105.4).

Is my calculation correct?

Thanks,

daifei888

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 6:20:06 #888991

HI daifei888,

I don’t recall promotions happening last September, but that doesn’t mean they won’t happen this year. You’ll need to check back here for promotions to see: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ promotions

It sounds like the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is a little bit more than the 4 day + your tickets to and around Zermatt.
    But the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass will be a lot more convenient, I think, and allow you to be more flexible as you travel. IE take trips on the spur of the moment if you decide (often at no charge).

Perhaps that makes the extra 20chf or so worth it for the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass?
    You can wait until a week or so before departure to buy the pass (if you want to wait and see if a promotion comes up).

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    22 June 2018 at 13:50:57 #888992

Thanks again so much Lucas.

I think that makes sense.

• The thread ‘Train ticket Domodossola – Brig – Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.