Train to Morteratsch and from Lugano to Brig

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2019 at 17:49:23 #823397

I am not sure if my post of yesterday went through. So please pardon me if this is a duplicate post.

First, what different between Brig and Brig Bahnhofplatz stations? it takes 7min walk between the two. Is Brig the same as Brig Bahnhof, the bus stop? very easy to use the wrong station.

The timetable from Brig to Morteratsch via Zurich, Lanquart, and St Moritz (direction to Tinano) indicating “Morteratsch Stop on request”. How to request a stop for the train ride?

From Lugano to Brig, via Mendrisio (Direction Milano Centrale), Arcisate, Galarate, Domodossola(I). see attachment. There Domodossola(I), Domodossola stazione, Domodossola via Torino. What the difference? Is Swiss Travel Pass cover entire route? How complicate to have transfer at Domodossola (I)?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 August 2019 at 21:25:12 #920049

Hello Ning,

All Brig stations you mention are within 50 meters of each other.

To request a stop look for a big red button. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/how-do-sbb-stop-on-requests-work-cavaglia.

The route you picked is not fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. To do that you need Lugano to Brig via Locarno. You will the travel on the Centovalli railway which is covered by the STP. See first part of this trip report – http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-day-15-21-locarno-to-montreux.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2019 at 21:30:50 #920050

Thanks, Rockoyster. Good to know that have to go via Locarno. I read the post on Centovalli railway. Will study the route to make sure no glitch.

Thanks again for prompt response.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2019 at 23:13:20 #920051

Also, from Morterat sch to Lugano via Thusis then bus #171 to Bellinzona. It says

“Reservation +41 58 341 34 87 at least 1 hour before departure in Chur

Connection Thusis only for trains that arrive until xx.42 clock

Further information http://www.postbus.ch/90.171"

I reserved online : http://www.postbus.ch/90.171. I got confirmation. Is that all needed?

Also, what “Connection Thusis only for trains that arrive until xx.42 clock” means? The SBB timetable is attached. It is from Morteratsch, Abzweigung, which is 25min walk from hotel. The next train will be 1 hr later from Morteratsch “stop on request” . Now I know I need to waive for train to stop.:)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 August 2019 at 0:01:19 #920052

From what I understand (I’ve never been there), the station is only 2 minutes from the hotel so why walk 25 minutes to a bus stop. Are you keen to get to Lugano an hour earlier?

If you catch the train at Morteratsch you should have a look for a big button with a sign saying “Halt auf Verlangen” ie stop on request. Press that no earlier than 10 minutes before train arrival. Waving might work but I wouldn’t rely on it. The driver may think you are just being friendly. 😉

I’m sure the hotel will give you the best advice.

I have no idea what “Connection Thusis only for trains that arrive until xx.42 clock” means. The bus leaves at xx:40 so xx:42 seems a bit late to me. 🧐

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 6:17:40 #920053

Hello Ning,

Rockoyster has described the request stop process perfectly. I’ve attached a picture about a “Stop to request” button, maybe that helps. This one is on the French part of the country, but you should look for similar there too.

To make sure what the “Connection Thusis only for trains that arrive until xx.42” means I would suggest to write them an email: chur@postbus. ch

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 7:56:24 #920054

Rockoyster and IIdiko,
    Thank you very much. Yes, I try to have ore time in Lugano. Sont know if it iworth going through such trouble.
    The photo is very helpful. Give me confidence to be at station with stop on request.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 August 2019 at 8:07:48 #920055

Hi Ning,

Attached is a German-language stop request button. This one at Stein-am-Rhein. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 14:22:18 #920056

Rockoyster, thank you. Very helpful what to look on the train.

• The thread ‘Train to Morteratsch and from Lugano to Brig’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.