Train pass for Zurich, Zermatt, Wengen and Lucerne

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Floyd
Floyd
6 posts
Jan 12, 2019 - 4:45 PM

Hello,

We will be in Switzerland for two weeks. We will need to travel from Zurich airport to Zermatt once we arrive. Then from Zermatt to Wengen and from Wengen to Lucerne than back to Zurich airport during our stay. Will the Swiss Travel Pass cover this type of transportation? I am tying to find out if a 15 day pass is the way I should go to cover most of the expenses. We will also be taking day trips along with many train/cable car/boat rides once in Zermatt, Wengen and Lucerne I have been reading up on what is all included, but just wanted another opinion. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you again.

Arno
Arno
12546 posts
expert &
Jan 12, 2019 - 5:13 PM

Hi Sbrietzman,

I agree that the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass is the obvious and most convenient first option to consider. You can compare it to the Swiss Half Fare Card to see if there's a significant price difference. The below links help you do so. In case of further questions just let us know!

Floyd
Floyd
6 posts
Jan 12, 2019 - 5:32 PM

Arno,

So all of the train travel from base to base and to/from the airport would be covered by the Swiss Travel Pass? We also plan to go to Mt Pilatus once in Lucerne. Would the boat trip from Lucerne to Alpnachstad be included as well along with the cogwheel to the top of Mt Pilatus? Or would there be an additional cost for cogwheel and cable car rides back. Also, can you inform if purchasing a 1st class ticket versus 2nd class is worth the added expense. Just want another opinion as well. Thank you so much.

Arno
Arno
12546 posts
expert &
Jan 12, 2019 - 6:01 PM in reply to Floyd

Hi Sbrietzman,

Yes, the base to base trains are all included. The boat as well. The cable car is 50% discounted. If you click my first link and then go to "Where it's valid", you can find all details on coverage, and download the map as well.

Whether the extra costs for 1st class are worth it is a personal preference. Some people find it a waste while others think it's a must :-) Only trains and boats offer 1st class. Cogwheel trains, cable cars and buses are one class only. Please see www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass also.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019