Train pass for Zurich, Zermatt, Wengen and Lucerne

• Floyd
    Participant
    6 posts
    12 January 2019 at 16:45:59 #819456

Hello,

We will be in Switzerland for two weeks. We will need to travel from Zurich airport to Zermatt once we arrive. Then from Zermatt to Wengen and from Wengen to Lucerne than back to Zurich airport during our stay. Will the Swiss Travel Pass cover this type of transportation? I am tying to find out if a 15 day pass is the way I should go to cover most of the expenses. We will also be taking day trips along with many train/cable car/boat rides once in Zermatt, Wengen and Lucerne I have been reading up on what is all included, but just wanted another opinion. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you again.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 January 2019 at 17:13:34 #901983

Hi Sbrietzman,

I agree that the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass is the obvious and most convenient first option to consider. You can compare it to the Swiss Half Fare Card to see if there’s a significant price difference. The below links help you do so. In case of further questions just let us know!

Floyd
    Participant
    6 posts
    12 January 2019 at 17:32:20 #901984

Arno,

So all of the train travel from base to base and to/from the airport would be covered by the Swiss Travel Pass? We also plan to go to Mt Pilatus once in Lucerne. Would the boat trip from Lucerne to Alpnachstad be included as well along with the cogwheel to the top of Mt Pilatus? Or would there be an additional cost for cogwheel and cable car rides back. Also, can you inform if purchasing a 1st class ticket versus 2nd class is worth the added expense. Just want another opinion as well. Thank you so much.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 January 2019 at 18:01:46 #901985

Hi Sbrietzman,

Yes, the base to base trains are all included. The boat as well. The cable car is 50% discounted. If you click my first link and then go to “Where it’s valid”, you can find all details on coverage, and download the map as well.

Whether the extra costs for 1st class are worth it is a personal preference. Some people find it a waste while others think it’s a must 🙂 Only trains and boats offer 1st class. Cogwheel trains, cable cars and buses are one class only. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass also.

• The thread ‘Train pass for Zurich, Zermatt, Wengen and Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.