Travel from Guarda to Chexbres on Glacier Express?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 12:37:27 #812970

Hello. We’re traveling from Guarda to Chezbres on September 4th. Would like to take the Glacial Express for one leg of the trip but expect that it may be too long and/or complicated. The most direct route appears to be back through Zuruck and Bern. Prefer a scenic route as this in our first trip to Switzerland. Any suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 17:24:48 #868380

Hi wbsnyde,

you certainly could do the Glacier Express train from Chur to Zermatt and then on to Chexbres. Use the Swiss railways timetable here to help plan out your trip.
    Certainly going via Zurich is the quickest and most direct route – it is up to you how much time you want to spend getting there.

Another option for a scenic train go to Interlaken and take the Golden Pass route to Montreux and then on to Chexbres.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2017 at 1:32:24 #868381

Hi wbsnyde-

When you follow Lucas’ excellent advice, please use the correct spellings for the towns that he used.. The timetable likes accurate spellings.

Also, it helps to visualize the journeys, which can be done on this map:

map.search.ch/

Zoom in for rail lines.

I’ve been through Chexbres a few times to photograph the vineyards. Fall is a good time.

Also, views from near the hotel at Signal de Puidoux (or Chexbres) are really nice. ( Maybe the wrong name – I mean the grand hotel on the heights overlooking the lake from just above Puidoux station. Views from Chexbres are similar).

Apparently it is being renovated, or replaced. Great views from up there.

http://www.24heures.ch/vaud-regions/riviera-chablais/promoteur-christian-constantin-s-offre-grand-hotel-signal/story/23472302

Slowpoke

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    16 August 2017 at 1:32:47 #868382

It can be done although it is a very long 9 ½ hour day. Leave Guarda at 7:52 to Chur. Pickup the Glacier Express to Brig. Get off at Brig and change for Vevey and then Chexbres. To find this on SBB.ch, enter Guarda to Chexbres via Andermatt. We love the Swiss trains. This is probably something I would do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 1:52:17 #868383

Thanks to all for your advice, especially about spelling names correctly. I think we’ll take a shorter route rather than trying the Glacial Express. I’m sure the entire country is beautiful. Better to sit back and enjoy.

• The thread ‘Travel from Guarda to Chexbres on Glacier Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.