Train travel from Paris to Bern/Lucerne area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2016 at 5:01:58 #809377

Hello,

I am planning to travel to Switzerland ( Bern and Luzerne) from Paris for about 3 days with my family. I am looking for the most economical travel options ( via Train from Paris) to arrive at these Swiss locations and return back to Paris. I have been looking at train options from Paris to Bern and have been checking the Swiss travel pass as well for travel within Switzerland. I am not sure what combination would work be most cost effective. I am not keen on getting a euro rail pass as I am only travelling to Switzerland outside of Paris.

I am travelling with two seniors so want make the best of this trip. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 June 2016 at 10:52:26 #852699

Welcome Reema, thanks for joining us!

I agree with you that a Eurail pass is unlikely to be your best option. If you just need a ticket from Paris to Switzerland, you can book that separately. How to do so is explained here: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france. As you can see on the Promotions tab of that page, there are some promotions now. Whether you qualify for them depends on your travel date. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you would only need a ticket to the border (usually Basel).

These pages provide more information:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2016 at 15:35:42 #852700

Thanks Arno.

Would it work if I travel via train from Paris to Neuchatel, Switzerland (QNC) and then switch train to get to Bern using the Swiss travel Pass? I am not sure if entry to Neuchatel, Switzerland (QNC) is possible on a regular ticket or if I have to go through Geneva or Basel first to enter Switzerland prior to starting to use my Swiss travel pass?

Thanks!

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 June 2016 at 17:42:30 #852701

Hi Reema,

yI’m not sure what QNC means, but you can take any route you like. Just buy a ticket to the Swiss/French border station on that route. The Swiss Travel Pass covers your trip from there. You can print the pass at home so you can stay seated and show the pass on request.

The usual route is through Basel. Via Geneva is a bit slower. I think there’s a connection from Paris to Neuchâtel too, but it seems to (temporarily) include a change to a bus. I’m not sure why that is and when it will be all train again. You’d better check for your travel date and time. The timetable provides all the details.

The purchase options for tickets to the border and Swiss Travel Passes are here:

• The thread ‘Train travel from Paris to Bern/Lucerne area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.