Train travel from Stresa to Wengen to Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2017 at 17:53:12 #811037

Hello

Spent months and months deliberating about passes etc. We are a party of 6 aged 12 to 86 travelling by train from Stresa to Wengen on Wednesday 23rd August ,staying for one week and then travelling back to Zurich airport.Swiss Travel Company have been helping me and I have no come to conculsion that a Bernese Oberland Pass plus transfer ticket and Stresa to Swiss border is best .They have quoted me £311 per person – assuming my 12 year old will be cheaper.

My worries are endless but include

1. The map I downloaded requires a magnifying glass – any ideas how to enlarge print?

2. Does this price sound right – where does the bernese Oberland actually start on my journey? The price given is for a 6 day pass but I am assuming the price quoted alos includes the transfer days .

I have a headache every time I look at this subject

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    11 March 2017 at 18:14:32 #859960

Hi Angelamuscio,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Let’s have a look at your worries, I’m sure we can figure it out:

1. If you downloaded the PDF files from our website you can use the zoom function provided by any PDF reader or web browser. If you want to print them to paper I can’t help you as every printer driver is a bit different. You should get a paper copy of the map once ordered though. You can find the maps here:

2. The price is £ 244 for a 6-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland (child £ 23.50) and £ 112 for a Swiss Transfer Ticket (child free). So the average for all 6 is slightly over £ 300 per person. As you live in the UK you can order the passes here, and shipping is free:

The area of validity of the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland can be found on the map, but it’s not relevant for your incoming and outgoing trips as these are fully included in the Swiss Transfer Ticket.

Tickets from Stresa to Domodossola (Swiss border) can be found here: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/italy/price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 7:18:25 #859961

Dear Arno

thank you so much for all this information.i feel we are getting there ! As the Swiss travel company gentlemen in London recommended a 6 day bo pass I am summing that the prices he has quoted means the transfer is for the day coming in and out of the country .what do you think ? What do you think ? Also would you know please if the bo pass is valid for buses around wengen and also gondolas between wengen and grindelwald ?

Thanks again. Angie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 11:45:34 #859962

Hi Angie,

Its best to check with your travel agent, I think you are right but it is best to double check.

Have you been able to view the BO pass map successfully? It will indicate which routes are covered. Buses around Wengen are included, but the gondola between Wengen and Grindelwald is not covered.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 11:48:19 #859963

I have viewed map yes thank you but I wanted to check – couldn’t tell about gondolas.I wonder if you know how much they cost ,I could not make up my mind between jungfrua or bernese pass to be honest.

I will check other information with the agent.Thanks Again.Angie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 12:24:28 #859964

Hi Angie,

The gondolas will about about chf 53 one-way. You can find prices for the different routes here.

Cheers!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 12:43:19 #859965

Thank you again.I opened the tap and the discounts are shown as below which make it appear to me tha the gondola is included??

Discounts:

Children 6 – 15 years: 50%

Swiss Travel Pass: Wengen-Männlichen & Grindelwald Grund-Männlichen 50%

Swiss Travel Pass: Wengen-Kl. Scheidegg / Grindelwald-Kl. Scheidegg 25%

GA / ½ fare abo, Swiss Half Fare Card: 50%

Jungfrau Travel Pass valid

Regional Pass Bernese Oberland valid

Junior Card/Grandchild Card SBB valid

Dogs free

No bike transpor

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 13:47:08 #859966

Ah yes, I missed that – it is included with the BO pass.

My apologies for any confusion!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 13:48:11 #859967

Great thanks

• The thread ‘Train travel from Stresa to Wengen to Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.