Swiss train travel – passes, luggage & connections

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 15:17:13 #863737

Hi Basker,

I haven’t heard of names not appearing on the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Family Card.
    If you have entered them it should be fine and appear on your ticket when you get it – but I haven’t gone through the process myself.

As for the Swiss Family Card – it will cover all children in your group, you only need one card for your kids and it is normal for you to enter their names on the Swiss Family Card after receiving it – see here.

If you buy the passes in Switzerland then they are a normal paper ticket – so a big advantage of buying online is to have the E-ticket back up to print it again in case you lose it.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 June 2017 at 15:26:35 #863738

Hi Basker,

The official SBB site for the tourist passes is the one discussed earlier in this thread: http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. Pick Online Ticket when asked for delivery options; it’s listed at the bottom.

SBB.ch is the domestic site. The other site you mentioned is unknown to me. Well, I have heard of it but it’s not an official site if that’s what you’re looking for. All relevant purchase options are listed here on the Swiss Travel Pass page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 17:18:34 #863739

Thanks Lucas and Arno.

Got the tickets and names are appearing in the final tickets although it was not in the shopping cart.

Just realised that the website payment channel does not take all credit cards. It takes only those cards with 3D secure or “Verified by Visa”.

Cheers

Basker

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 June 2017 at 8:31:40 #863740

Glad it worked, enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2017 at 19:06:53 #863741

Thanks Arno.

Wanted to check few items:

I am booked to travel in Glacier from Chur to Zermatt. I am arriving Chur from Wengen. Yes, its a long journey from Wengen to Chur. Glacier express at Chur is at 12.26PM and i am planning to Wengen that day early morning – say by 6AM.

1. Some of the connections between Wengen to Chur (especially in OST, Bern and Zurich) are short – like 6 to 9 minutes. Is this sufficient or should i plan something differently?

2. The trains from Zurich to Chur arrive in platforms 7/8/9 and the Glacier is at platform 10CD. What is the maximum time it will take for transfer between platforms in Chur?

3. Is the station at Chur same for regular trains and Glacier ?

4. Is there any link where i can get the station map for Chur?

5. How long Glacier would stop in Chur? the timetable has only departure time.

6. Is there any coach /car position chart available for Glacier in Chur station – travelling towards Zermatt? This will help in identifying our coach/car easily?

Thanks

Cheers

Basker

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 June 2017 at 20:52:41 #863742

Hi Basker,

1. Yes, with trains running on time (they usually are) this is sufficient. Of course you can take an earlier train to have some slack.

2. The minimum time is a minute or so. The maximum differs per person.

3. Yes.

4. Please see the attachment.

5. I don’t know but I think that stop is pretty long.

6. You’ll find it on the platform and the cars are labeled clearly.

jenson123
    Participant
    2 posts
    19 June 2017 at 9:21:24 #863743

Dear Lucas,

Thanks for your prompt feedback.

I have purchased a 4 day Swiss Travel pass. Do i need to buy a Swiss Family card. What are the advantages? How do i buy it?

Best regards

Jenson

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 12:15:30 #863744

Hi Jenson,

Usually you add on the Swiss Family Card at the same time as buying to Swiss Travel Pass. Since you have already bought the Swiss Travel Pass you will just need to stop at any SBB rail office in Switzerland and show them the Swiss Travel Pass and they can issue the Swiss Family Card for you on the spot.

The Swiss Family Card covers all children under 16 on all trains etc. in Switzerland; children 16 and over will need the Swiss Travel Pass Youth (if you haven’t bought one already).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 4:27:50 #863745

Hi Lucas / Arno

We are in the last leg of our planning and need some help on the following:

1. We needed to go to Holiday Inn express hotel near Zurich airport in the evening around 5-7PM. We will commute to Zurich airport by train. We are 4 pax and will have 2 medium luggage. What is the best and economical way to transport to the hotel from Zurich airport train station?

Rhine falls

2. The 30 minute round trip which takes closer to falls is charged about CHF 10. Is this correct?

3. Does STP cover this boat tour also? I understand if the tour is operated by URH (Schweizerische Schifffahrtsgesellschaft Untersee und Rhein) then its included in STP. Is this correct?

4. How to identify this operator in that area?

5. do we have the timetable for boat trips operated by URH?

6. Where is the ticketing point for this boat trip

7. Where is the boarding point for this boat trip

8. Which train station is closer to the ticketing and boarding point – Schloss Laufen am Rhinefalls or Neuhausen Rhinefalls?

9. Can we buy the ticket on the spot or do we need to reserve in advance for the round boat trip?

Thanks and cheers

Basker

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 8:07:48 #863746

Hi Basker,

1. The hotel offers a free shuttle to/from the airport – best to contact them to see how to arrange it for your pick up (or it may run constantly throughout the day)
    2. Yes, the 25min trip boat trip is 10chf – see here.
    3. That company does not go to the RheinFalls – only as far as schaffhausen
    4. For the short boat rides to the RheinFalls click on link from #2 above for more details

Technically, Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall stop is closest to the RheinFall. You can then take a boat for 2chf to cross the river to board the boat for the longer 25 min trip. No reservations needed on these short trips.

Lucas

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Swiss train travel – passes, luggage & connections’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.