Train travel to Wengen in April with construction?

Train travel to Wengen in April with construction?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
sinsf2018
sinsf2018
4 posts
Apr 6, 2018 - 7:40 PM

I am flying into Zurich on April 21 and had planned to take the train to Wengen and spend 2 nights in Wengen then travel to Lucerne and spend 2 nights in Lucerne before returning to the Zurich airport on April 25.

When I checked the train schedules today, it looks like the Golden Pass train is not operating at all during those dates and all of the regular trains between Zurich to Wengen and Wengen to Lucern require a bus transfer and rerouting due to track work.

Given my short amount of time, I am wondering if it is even worth making the trip all the way to Wengen? Am I better off staying in Lucerne for all 4 days?

I had hoped to visit the Jungfrau during my stay in Wengen.

Lucas
Lucas
8830 posts
expert &
Apr 6, 2018 - 7:48 PM in reply to sinsf2018

Hi sinsf2018 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think you have read the timetable incorrectly. There is about 10km of tracks that are closed on the Golden Pass line (requiring a bus transfer). This only affects those traveling on the section between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

It doesn't affect you if traveling from Zurich to Wengen at all. You can do part of the Golden Pass route on your trip though (between Luzern and Interlaken) which has no construction on it at all. The train is a direct train denoted as the Luzern - Interlaken express on the timetable.

sinsf2018
sinsf2018
4 posts
Apr 6, 2018 - 8:19 PM

When I look at the timetable, I am seeing a bus bridge between Horw and Giswil during my dates of travel.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Apr 7, 2018 - 3:13 AM in reply to sinsf2018

>> When I look at the timetable, I am seeing a bus bridge between Horw and Giswil during my dates of travel.

Yes, there is a bus replacement service between Horw and Giswil during April 2018, due to some construction work.

There is some more information in my post of Feb 19, 2018 - 4:50 AM on the following page:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/goldenline-track-closed-for-our-tour

I have also attached an aerial map showing the bus replacement sector in the context of the whole route Luzern to Interlaken Ost.

>>Given my short amount of time, I am wondering if it is even worth making the trip all the way to Wengen?

I would definitely not let this put you off your trip to Wengen. Wengen is stunning, and this bus sector will be well organised. Your luggage will go in the luggage compartment under the bus.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Apr 7, 2018 - 3:24 AM by Removed user
Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
8830 posts
expert &
Apr 7, 2018 - 7:01 AM in reply to sinsf2018

Ah I see, my apologies! I didn't see that bus section for April. I wouldn't worry about it - as Alpenrose notes it will be a well-organized transfer. :)

sinsf2018
sinsf2018
4 posts
Apr 7, 2018 - 4:15 PM

Thank you very much for the information. I do feel better now about keeping this Wengen trip in my itinerary.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018