Train travel to Wengen in April with construction?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 19:40:06 #815176

I am flying into Zurich on April 21 and had planned to take the train to Wengen and spend 2 nights in Wengen then travel to Lucerne and spend 2 nights in Lucerne before returning to the Zurich airport on April 25.

When I checked the train schedules today, it looks like the Golden Pass train is not operating at all during those dates and all of the regular trains between Zurich to Wengen and Wengen to Lucern require a bus transfer and rerouting due to track work.

Given my short amount of time, I am wondering if it is even worth making the trip all the way to Wengen? Am I better off staying in Lucerne for all 4 days?

I had hoped to visit the Jungfrau during my stay in Wengen.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 19:48:19 #881210

Hi sinsf2018 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think you have read the timetable incorrectly. There is about 10km of tracks that are closed on the Golden Pass line (requiring a bus transfer). This only affects those traveling on the section between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

It doesn’t affect you if traveling from Zurich to Wengen at all. You can do part of the Golden Pass route on your trip though (between Luzern and Interlaken) which has no construction on it at all. The train is a direct train denoted as the Luzern – Interlaken express on the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 20:19:29 #881211

When I look at the timetable, I am seeing a bus bridge between Horw and Giswil during my dates of travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 3:13:41 #881212

>> When I look at the timetable, I am seeing a bus bridge between Horw and Giswil during my dates of travel.

Yes, there is a bus replacement service between Horw and Giswil during April 2018, due to some construction work.

There is some more information in my post of Feb 19, 2018 – 4:50 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/goldenline-track-closed-for-our-tour

I have also attached an aerial map showing the bus replacement sector in the context of the whole route Luzern to Interlaken Ost.

>>Given my short amount of time, I am wondering if it is even worth making the trip all the way to Wengen?

I would definitely not let this put you off your trip to Wengen. Wengen is stunning, and this bus sector will be well organised. Your luggage will go in the luggage compartment under the bus.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 7:01:58 #881213

Ah I see, my apologies! I didn’t see that bus section for April. I wouldn’t worry about it – as Alpenrose notes it will be a well-organized transfer. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 16:15:36 #881214

Thank you very much for the information. I do feel better now about keeping this Wengen trip in my itinerary.

• The thread ‘Train travel to Wengen in April with construction?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.