Train vs hire car Milan to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 2:37:35 #812520

Hello

We are staying in Milan for a couple of days and wanted to do some day trips to Switzerland – one day at Lake Como, Brunate and the Villa Carlotta; another day in Bernina Diavolezza, up the cable car to Diavolezza summit.

We would love to travel by train, but it seems, particularly for the Lake Como trip to be almost impossible to achieve in one day.

Can we keep this itinerary if we hire a car in Milan? What are the risks/pitfalls in driving to these locations? What is parking like in the Como area?

Thank you very much.

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 July 2017 at 7:40:34 #866256

Hi John,

You can get a train from Milan to Bernina Diavolezza. Takes just over 4 hours each way.

Como, Villa Carlotta and Brunate aren’t actually in Switzerland. But you can get from Milan to Como pretty quick by train. There is a funicular from Como Nord, I think, to Brunate and there is a bus from Como to Villa Carlotta (2 hour round-trip roughly).

I once went in a taxi in Milan. The traffic was mad and that was about 20 years ago. Not for the faint-hearted I would suggest. 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 10:35:50 #866257

Hi John,

I would suggest a train for your trips. You can read about train vs car travel here, and search for the train timetables here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 2:36:28 #866258

Thank you rockoyster and Lucas for your timely replies.

I checked the link Lucas’ provided and it seems train travel is the way to go!

If and when we take the day trips will be determined by the weather. Is there a weather app or website you could recommend?

Do you know if, leaving from Milan, we have to book in advance for either destination (Bernina or Lake Como) or can we play it by ear on the day?

Kind regards

John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2017 at 3:03:28 #866259

Hi John,

I used the MeteoSwiss app.

I’m not sure about reservations on Italian trains. They wouldn’t be necessary on Swiss trains.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 July 2017 at 5:13:58 #866260

Hi John,

If you take regular trains (not the official Bernina Express or international EuroCity trains) you can just buy a ticket either online or on the spot, without actually booking seats for a specific train. The timetable shows if trains require seat reservations. Mostly they don’t on your routes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 5:20:17 #866261

Thank you for the tip Arno.

Much appreciated.

John

• The thread ‘Train vs hire car Milan to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.