Train vs minibus from Zurich airport to St. Moritz

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Daniella
Daniella
3 posts
Jun 5, 2019 - 3:19 PM

Hi, I am planning a trip to St .Moritz for our entire family in honor of our parents 50th anniversary. Since we are a large group I am wondering if it is easier and more economical to hire a mini bus to take us from the Zurich airport to St Moritz rather than the train. Thanks for any help!

Arno
Arno
13311 posts
expert &
Jun 6, 2019 - 6:45 AM

Hi Daniella,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The answer is "it depends", sorry :-) Normally I'd always go for the train: better experience, better views, safe, eco-friendly. There can be reasons to arrange for a private transfer though. You'll find various links on our page www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/zurich, so you can get an idea of prices there. It also depends on your other plans during your stay. If you would buy a Swiss Travel Pass, the transfer to St. Moritz might essentially be "free" (included): www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

How large is your group?

Daniella
Daniella
3 posts
Jun 6, 2019 - 6:53 AM in reply to Arno

We are 15 people (adults, kids, luggage etc...). I'm afraid it will be complicated getting on and off trains. Maybe we are better off in a private transport to the hotel and then take a train ride (Bernina express?) during our stay.

Arno
Arno
13311 posts
expert &
Jun 6, 2019 - 7:03 AM in reply to Daniella

Hi Daniella,

15 people plus luggage will just fit in a minibus I guess. Rideways offers this for about $1500, which is not a bad price I think: https://www.rideways.c om/en-gb/airport/transfers/c h/zurich/zrh/. Please check the other links for more prices. A Swiss Travel Pass might be too much if you don't plan to travel by train frequently. Further information on that is here: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses.

Last modified on Jun 6, 2019 - 7:03 AM by Arno
Daniella
Daniella
3 posts
Jun 6, 2019 - 7:05 AM in reply to Arno

Ok, thanks.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6158 posts
expert
Jun 6, 2019 - 8:32 PM in reply to Daniella

Hi Daniella -

Not trying to influence your choices, but this comment puzzles me:

<<"'I'm afraid it will be complicated getting on and off trains.">>

How can 15 people alter the routine, effective process by which dozens or even hundreds of people get off a Swiss train, thousands of times per day, many with luggage, many with hindered mobility, like me, within the allotted transfer time? It works all the time, all over Switzerland.

Sure, someone cold deliberately force a problem, but, in practice, it does not happen. The trains run on time.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019