Train Zermatt-Milan with Swiss Travel Pass

• hokiefrenzy
    Participant
    7 posts
    16 June 2022 at 19:56:23 #827515

Hi i need to get from zermatt to milan in a few days. It would be bad to get back to zurich by train and fly out. Is there a good way to take a train from zermatt to milan italy? If so, how do i buy those tickets. Sorry if this is a dumb question as im not very familiar with europe. I have swiss pass but i heard that only cover some scenic route to italy.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    17 June 2022 at 9:20:05 #943286

Hi hokiefrenzy,

When are you travelling? From Zermatt to Milan, one sensible option is to take the train from Zermatt to Visp then take the EC train to Milan via Domodossola. The journey takes 3.5 hours. With the Swiss Travel Pass, you only need a ticket for the Italian section of the journey which is Domodossola to Milan. You can find ticket information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

Please use the SBB timetable to find suitable connections.

Regards,

Anna

hokiefrenzy
    Participant
    7 posts
    17 June 2022 at 22:28:12 #943287

Traveling on monday June 20th. I looked and the visp to milan looks to be 4.5 hrs plus 1 hour zermatt to visp. Quite long. Maybe im not looking correctly

Anna
    6274 posts
    18 June 2022 at 8:31:31 #943288

Hi hokiefrenzy,

On June 20th, there is a connection that will get you from Zermatt to Milan in 3.5 hours. The earliest train leaves at 8.13 (with 2 transits) and the next one at 11.13 (one transit).

regards,

Anna

hokiefrenzy
    Participant
    7 posts
    18 June 2022 at 9:17:51 #943289

Thank you. Do you know if I would go to zermatt station and ask to pay for the ticket from Dom to Milan and thats all i need?

Anna
    6274 posts
    18 June 2022 at 19:22:48 #943290

Hi again,

Yes, you can get the tickets from Domodossola to Milan directly from the train station in Zermatt.

Regards,

Anna

Jack_Jack
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 June 2022 at 18:11:22 #943291

I am also planning to go to Milan from Zermatt via Train, i saw the validity map shows that swiss pass covered until Chiasso, so i can just buy the train ticket from Chiasso to Milano Centrale?

Also do i need to book seat reservation since from Zermatt to Visp/Brig is under the Glacial Express Route?

Please enlighten me, Thank you!

Jack

Anna
    6274 posts
    21 June 2022 at 18:50:32 #943292

Hi Jack Jack,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass is valid up to Chiasso. For the onward journey to Milan you need a ticket. You can find more details about this here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

If you wish to travel on the panoramic Glacier Express train from Zermatt to Brig, yes you do need a seat reservation. But if you’re taking a regular train on the same route, reservation is not needed.

Let us know if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

Bakeadept
    Participant
    5 posts
    23 June 2022 at 18:04:37 #943293

Hi Anna

I have a similar journey planned: Zermatt to Rome (all routes suggest via Milan) for the 4th of July and I have a Swiss travel pass. I’m a bit confused on the buying tickets part for the Italy part of the journey.

I understand that the pass is valid up to the border based on ur previous answers so should I buy train tickets for ‘ Chiasso to Rome’ or ‘Domodossola to Rome’? Also, can I just buy the tickets for the Italy train part online and just hop on the train with my Swiss travel pass and when they check tickets for the Italy part just show them my online booking or does a physical ticket need to be collected?

thnak you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2022 at 18:19:47 #943294

Hi Bakeadept,

According to the timetable, the easiest route is with 2 changes, once in Visp then in Milano. This route crosses the border in Domodolossa, so you need to get your Italian ticket from there: Domodolossa – Rome.

If you have a valid Swiss Travel Pass, you can hop on the train in Zermatt and you need to buy your ticket only from Domodolossa to Rome. If you buy your Italian ticket online, you can just show your e-ticket via your phone in Italy (if they ask for it).

You can buy your Italian ticket here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy/price

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Bakeadept
    Participant
    5 posts
    23 June 2022 at 19:35:00 #943295

Hi Ildiko,

Thanks for the help! I just had a quick question regarding PE trains. On google maps it’s telling me to take a PE Train Zermatt to Brig. From my understanding a PE train is smth like the glacier express – would our Swiss travel pass cover the fares for this ? And do we have to prebook it on SBB site (the Swiss travel pass isn’t an option on the discount cards drop down)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2022 at 19:52:03 #943296

Yes, from Zermatt to Brig you can travel via the Glacier Express. You can read the route description here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere. If you have a valid Swiss Travel Pass, you can use that on the Glacier Express, so you do not have to buy a ticket. But, you still have to reserve your seat for a fee. You can do it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets.

If you would like to try a panoramic train I rather recommend the Glacier Express + the Gotthard Panorama Express in one day. Read about the route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress (search for the title Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express in one day). With these panoramic trains you can get from Zermatt to Lugano and then the next day you can continue to Rome. It takes longer but you can see much more while traveling.

Swiss Travel Pass is also valid on the Gotthard Panorama Express, but you have to pay for your seat reservation: http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress/tickets

Ildiko

Jack_Jack
    Participant
    2 posts
    24 June 2022 at 6:11:28 #943297

Hi Anna, Thanks for clarifying this. Now i can make a better decision on planning my route to Milan. 👍🏻

wardenche
    Participant
    7 posts
    27 June 2022 at 18:04:32 #943298

Hi, Anna-

Sorry to piggyback on this very helpful thread- but I have one more question about how to purchase a ticket from Zermatt to Milan, using the STP for the Switzerland part of the journey.

I understand that with STP I just hop on a train to Brig and change there to a train to Milan, and I only need to purchase a ticket from Domodossola to Milan.

I also understand that I can purchase the Italian portion of the ticket at the station in Zermatt. I am just a bit nervous that the Italian route could sell out. Is that an issue? If so, I would need to purchase my tickets ahead of time, and I am not sure how to do that in a way that lets me stay on the same train.

Thank you so much for your help.

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 June 2022 at 18:16:12 #943299

Hi Wardenche,

The route won’t sell out but the seat reservations for a particular train can sell out. If you have a reservation from Domodossola you can board that same train in Brig too, and stay on the train. Theoretically you’re not entitled to the seat just yet, but you will be able to board. More details are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy/price.

hokiefrenzy
    Participant
    7 posts
    27 June 2022 at 19:14:56 #943300

I just did this thanks to the help of Anna’s informative replies. You def want to buy your tickets and seats at zermat station at least 1-2 days before. Our train was fully packed. This was the worst train ride i had out of all switzerland. Was super packed and without AC. We were even in first class. Maybe it was just a bad train we boarded I don’t know…. I hope you will have better experience than me.

Anna
    6274 posts
    28 June 2022 at 6:51:12 #943301

Hi Hokiefrenzy,

I’m sorry you had such a bad experience. Was it only the train from Zermatt or was the train to Milan packed too? If you have a flexible itinerary, you have the option to travel on a train that is less crowded by looking up the information on the SBB timetable. Specify your route, click on a connection and under Legends you’ll see the occupancy status of the train.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Train Zermatt-Milan with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.