Train Zurich to Monza with Swiss Travel Pass

• rafazatti
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 August 2022 at 18:10:12 #827976

Hey guys! Greetings from Brazil!

Next month I will travel to Zurich for 10 days. At September 11th I need to go from Zurich to Monza (to watch the F1 race) via Trenitalia.

At Trenitalia site there’s an option “GA Switzerland” to Swiss Travel Pass holders (and other discounts). But on the same page asks by a “pass number”. An 8-digits number. The Swiss Travel Pass ID has 12-digits. So, what should I enter as “pass number” on the site to get the (huge) discount?

Or, is there a better option to go from Zurich to Monza and return on the same day?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 August 2022 at 18:56:23 #945169

Hi Rafazatti,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The train is definitely the preferred mode of transport for trips like that. The 8-digit number is for other types of travel cards that are mainly for Swiss residents. I’m not sure why that website gives Swiss Travel Pass as an option and also requests a number. That won’t work.

All you need is a ticket from Chiasso (Swiss border) to Monza, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy/price. The Zurich to Chiasso leg of your trip is covered by your Swiss Travel Pass, so no ticket needed. Simply take the train you had planned and stay seated in Chiasso.

Enjoy the ride and the race!

rafazatti
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 August 2022 at 19:01:42 #945170

Thank you so much Arno!

Clarify almost all my doubts. Just one more question: can I buy the ticket from Chiasso to Monza directly at the station or do you suggest by upfront online?

rafazatti
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 August 2022 at 19:11:27 #945171

Sorry the new question, Arno, but what do you mean with “Simply take the train you had planned and stay seated in Chiasso”. I noted the train from Zurich to Chiasso continues the trip to Monza. So, if I buy a ticket from Chiasso to Monza in advance, I don’t need change trains?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2022 at 22:10:23 #945172

Correct. If you have ticket or pass already purchased, you can use the same train throughout

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 August 2022 at 4:29:59 #945173

I suggest buying it in advance because it includes a compulsory seat reservation. Please see my link for the options.

1960man is correct about not changing trains.

Have a good trip!

rafazatti
    Participant
    4 posts
    5 August 2022 at 10:49:27 #945174

Thank you Arno and 1960man for all your help!

• The thread ‘Train Zurich to Monza with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.