Train+bus Lucerne to Giswil

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2012 at 9:05:43 #805137

Hullo again! Can I please have some opinions on the following trip.
    Dept Lucerne 8.57 arrive Schupfheim station 9.29. Bus [from railstation?]9.33 to Sorenberg,arrive 9.57.
    Then continue on bus from Sorenberg to Giswil,arriving at Giswil train station at 10.44.
    Is it correct that I will be able to change from bus11[arrives into Sorenberg Rothornbahan at 10.03] onto bus111,which departs from there at 10.04 for the journey to Giswil bahnof?
    Is this route worthwhile from a scenic/interesting viewpoint?
    I am then looking at catching train back down to Meiringen+visiting the Aare Gorge/Reichenbach waterfalls, before returning to Lucerne.If the weather is wet/miserable is this trip a good sightseeing option?
    Hope for some comments please:-)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    19 April 2012 at 2:02:31 #835637

Hello mbear12,

I think you want to use the Postbus on this route. I don’t know when you’ll be in Switzerland. It seems busses go between Sörenberg and Giswil from June 25 – Oct. 12 (not on Aug 15). Follow this link and download the timetable no. 60.241.

If you are able to make this bus trip, it’s very beautiful. Especially the Glaubenbielen Pass between Sörenberg and Giswil. Narrow, winding roads and impressive rough landscapes and nice views. If nothing exceptional happens the bus leaving from Sörenberg will wait untill the bus from Schüpfheim has arrived.

Visiting the Aare Gorge and the Reichenbach waterfalls as well would make this a nice day trip, even if the weather isn’t very good.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2012 at 3:57:56 #835638

Yes “wandermann” I was told of this bus route,so if available,want to travel this way….however the only bus that will work with my other plans is that particular one[the next is not until the afternoon] Am also “thinking” of the walk from Meiringen ,through the Scheidegg pass toGrindelwald [apparently it has bus stops along the way] A 21 km walk!!…Do you know/recommend this walk route? Thanks once again for your help+advice

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    19 April 2012 at 17:41:07 #835639

Hello mbear12,

From Meiringen to Grindelwald is not only a very long hike, you’ll have to count with altitudes too (Meiringen about 600 m.; Grosse Scheidegg about 1900 m.; Grindelwald about 1050 m.) Part of the route is described here (although in the other direction).
    If I were you I wouldn’t take this hike without knowing for sure that Postbuses run that day, and where and at what time you could take the Postbus if you don’t want to complete your hike all the way. (I wouldn’t take this hike anyway: it would be too much).

If you want an alternative, you might consider visting the Rosenlaui Gorge in (the same) Reichenbach valley. It opens by the end of May. Take a look at this topic if you like.

I know the whole route, but I’ve only hiked parts of it. It’s beautiful there!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2012 at 20:44:57 #835640

Many thanks for your “insight” when responding to ALL my messages….vmuch appreciated,please continue to do so!!
    Didn’t realise re the difficulty of the 21km walk,had just read the comment someone had made that it was the “best walk in Switzerland”[“must try that”,being my response!!] Your Rosenlau Glacier Gorge option/Aareschlucht+Reichenbach falls does in fact sound more to my capabilities….After arriving into Giswil[on the bus],then train to Meiringen etc Could I do both Gorges before heading back to Lucerne? Also if weather is not great ,is The Rosenlau gorge walk a good idea…or will it be too wet/muddy/slippery?:-)

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    20 April 2012 at 11:25:27 #835641

Hi mbear12,

If you can manage to follow your plan (Schüpfheim – Sörenberg – Giswil), you can reach Meiringen shortly after noon.

If you are into a hike I would suggest you go by bus to Rosenlaui, visit the Rosenlaui gorge and walk back to the upper entrance of the Reichenbach falls. Visit the falls and go down using the funicular if you like. Then, decide whether there’s enough time left to visit the Aare Gorge (it’s not too far from the valley station of the Reichenbach falls).

I wouldn’t mind to be there if weather conditions are not too good. Whatever the weather may be, the Rosenlaui gorge and the Aare gorge are always wet (just wear proper clothing/shoes), but they are completely safe!

Have a nice hike!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2012 at 20:24:42 #835642

Thanks for that…..I like that plan..and depending on the weather,the hike you suggest sounds great.

• The thread ‘Train+bus Lucerne to Giswil’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.