What”s covered by the Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 20:22:13 #815346

Here’s the plan – at least for the moment 🙂

It’s looking like the 8 day 2nd class Swiss travel Pass is going to make the most sense.

My understanding is: *The cost for all the trains including The Golden Pass, Glacier Express and Bernina are all covered under this pass. Jungfraujoch is discounted, but all travel to/from Mount Rigi is included.

Is my understanding correct? I’m trying to avoid too many pricey surprises. If so – it seems just doing the scenic trains almost pays for the pass….

I don’t quite understand the seat reservation part for the Golden – Glacier and Bernina trains.

How much extra do the seat reservations cost?

Also – are the travel times that I have allotted for the train rides about right?

July 12 – arrive Zurich airport 9 am – train to Lucerne (1 hour) – overnight in Lucerne

Lion monument, covered bridge, town

July 13 – Morning – head to Mount Rigi (included with Swiss travel pass) – 6 hours

Late afternoon – take the Golden Pass train to Wengen (3 hours)

July 14, 15, 16 – explore Wengen and surrounding area : Jungfraujoch, waterfalls, hiking

July 17 – train to Brig ( 2hours) – pick up the Glacier Express to Chur (4 hours) – overnight Chur

July 18 – Bernina Express to Tirano, Italy ( 4 hours) – train to Varenna, Lake Como (1 1/2 hours or so)

Thank U SO much for any help you can provide!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 1:30:56 #882335

Hi Karen,

>> 8 day 2nd class Swiss travel Pass … My understanding is: *The cost for all the trains including The Golden Pass, Glacier Express and Bernina are all covered under this pass.

Yes, the cost for travel is covered in full – the Swiss Travel Pass is your ticket.

Reservations are separate, and are compulsory for the Glacier Express and Bernina Express. Reservations for the Golden Pass route are optional, but recommended for the very popular sector with panoramic windows between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

>> Jungfraujoch is discounted

Yes. Your Swiss Travel Pass provides free travel to Wengen or Grindelwald. Between either of those places and the Jungfraujoch, you get a 25% discount.

>> but all travel to/from Mount Rigi is included.

Yes.

>> I don’t quite understand the seat reservation part for the Golden – Glacier and Bernina trains. How much extra do the seat reservations cost?

Reservation costs vary from train to train, and in some cases according to time of year.

Golden Pass (reservations optional)

• Luzern to Interlaken Ost (or reverse): CHF 10
    • Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen (or reverse): CHF 5
    • Zweisimmen to Montreux (or reverse): normal seats in 1st or 2nd class CHF 8; VIP seats in 1st class CHF 15

Glacier Express (reservations mandatory)

Costs in the high season (16 Jun to 16 Sep 2018)

• Long journey CHF 43
    • Short journey CHF 33

Bernina Express (reservations mandatory)

Summer season

• CHF 14 per leg

>> Also – are the travel times that I have allotted for the train rides about right?

You can check them using the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

(Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo)

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 6:55:40 #882336

Hi Karen,

Further to Alpenrose’s note, please have a look at the information on these pages as well:

• The thread ‘What”s covered by the Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.