Trains Lucerne to Interlaken not in service?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2017 at 14:53:03 #813394

Hello. I’m traveling November 9 – 12, 2017 and am trying to plan my itinerary. I was going to stay in Lucerne and spend a day in Jungfrau but when I searched train schedules, the SBB website there were no suitable routes to Interlaken (construction?) I am certain it’s possible to get to Interlaken; should I use the Eurail site instead?

Also, it seems SBB doesn’t recognize the Swiss Rail Pass and only offers a discount for the Half-Fare card? Is the Rail Pass not valid on SBB trains?

Thank you for your help. Cinn

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2017 at 16:13:37 #870401

Hi Cinn and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are still trains running from Lucerne – Interlaken. The SBB timetable here shows here is construction on the direct route where you get transferred to a bus for a portion of the trip. You can also travel via Bern for about the same amount of time if you don’t want to deal with a bus.

For Jungfrau tickets you can buy them online here but many people will wait until the day before to buy tickets (to ensure the weather is good when you are up top).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 September 2017 at 21:59:53 #870402

Hi Cinn-

In addition to the links Lucas provided, you may find this helpful:

map.search.ch/?pos=693376,194560&z=2

Zoom in, and you’ll see the train lines. It helps to see how the different routes run.

<<“Also, it seems SBB doesn’t recognize the Swiss Rail Pass and only offers a discount for the Half-Fare card? Is the Rail Pass not valid on SBB trains?”>>

On most lines, travel is “free”, that is, there is no extra charge beyond the cost of the Swiss Travel Pass. There is no “Swiss Rail Pass.”

This page gives you links to information on all of the travel passes.

The general rule for the Swiss Travel Pass is that travel between population centers…..cities, towns, etc. … has no added cost beyond the cost of the pass itself. Thus, the trip from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen or to Mürren via Grütschalp is covered. However “excursion trains” and scenic railways, many of which are privately owned, such as the railroad from Wengen up to the Jungfrau, only give a partial discount for a travel pass.

Details of validity for the various travel passes are shown on maps in the individual links on the page that I linked above.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 September 2017 at 22:09:32 #870403

Hi Cinn –

<<“Hello. I’m traveling November 9 – 12, 2017 and am trying to plan my

itinerary. I was going to stay in Lucerne and spend a day in Jungfrau”>>

Late November in the high Alps is typically low season. The trails at high altitudes have snow sufficient to make hiking difficult or impossible, but there is not enough snow for skiing. In Jungrau region in particular, the cograil train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg (branch line to Jungfraujoch) and thence ot Grindelwald is running. But, most cableways are not running…maintenance, or no customers. The cableways up to Schilthorn shut down for maintenance sometime in November, too.

Many but not all hotels and restaurants are closed for staff holidays, preparation for the Winter season which begins in early to mid-December, and general maintenance.

Do you have specific plans for visiting the Jungfraujoch itself or other specific places/things in the region?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Trains Lucerne to Interlaken not in service?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.