Trainstation lockers, etc.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2016 at 16:32:40 #810000

We are travelling through Switzerland in about 3 weeks and have a few questions. We already have a Swiss Travel Pass.

1. Our first station is in Konstanz, Germany. I was led to believe the Pass would be good there. Is that true or do we need to pay for the first leg of the journey into Switzerland and then use the Pass?

2. We were thinking of taking a side trip to Rhein Falls. Does the train station there have lockers for our luggage?

3. We are taking an overnight train and have compartment reserved. Do we also have seats in 1st class section(we have that Travel Pass)? Do the compartments have locks to safeguard our luggage?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    29 August 2016 at 17:18:13 #855567

Hi djgluckman,

1. The leg from Konstanz (Germany) to Kreuzlingen (Switzerland) is indeed covered. You don’t need a ticket. Other public transport in Konstanz is not covered.

2. There are no lockers as far as I know. You can send your luggage ahead to your next destination, or use the lockers at the station of Schaffhausen.

3. Which train are you referring to? There are no overnight trains within Switzerland, only a few to Germany. The Swiss Travel Pass only covers the Swiss leg.

Have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2016 at 18:38:10 #855568

Thanks for that information. To “send my luggage ahead” seems like Express luggage service which isn’t available from the stations from Konstanz to Rhein Falls. Is there another service I’m missing?

As for the overnight train, we are taking a train from Zurich to Vienna, leaving at 21.40. I was wondering about seats or are there seats in the overnight cabin that convert to beds?

Arno
    15481 posts
    30 August 2016 at 7:45:53 #855569

Hi djgluckman,

The regular luggage service will work from Kreuzlingen, but it is slower. If that does not fit your plans you can use the lockers in Schaffhausen.

That overnight train has a fixed price I think, so you pay the same amount regardless of how long you’re on board. So the Swiss Travel Pass is not relevant for that ride. There are cars with seats too (2nd class only). If any are not reserved you can sit there, but you’d normally stay in your cabin. That should be at least as comfortable.

• The thread ‘Trainstation lockers, etc.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.