Transfer from Bernina Express to train in Tirano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2019 at 8:04:55 #823390

Hi,

I am travelling with my wife and two kids aged 8 and 10 on 11 Sep (Wednesday) on Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano. We plan to take a train from Tirano to Florence afterwards. Bernina Express is scheduled to arrive at 12:49 in Tirano. We plan to bring 2-3 luggages (size 26″) and one hand luggage with us. My questions are:

1. If I buy the ticket for Tirano-Milan leaving at 13:08, will I be able to make it transferring from Bernina Express to the regional train? I plan to buy the ticket online, so no validation is required if I’m not mistaken.

2. If we can’t make it in time, I understand that the ticket is valid within 4 hours and I can catch the next train which will be in two hours time. Am I correct?

3. The next train from Milan to Florence will leave 45 minutes after our arrival from Tirano. If I miss my train from Tirano at 13:08, I will not be able to catch this train in Milan at 16:15. Will I be able to take another train despite my ticket is for 16:15 train? Do they have rules similar to regional train where you can take any train within 4 hours of your ticket time? By the way, we plan to take either Frecciarossa or Italo train from Milan to Florence.

Appreciate your advise.

Cheers

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 August 2019 at 9:58:01 #920020

Hello Shahril, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Don’t worry, you will be able to catch your train in Tirano. The 19 minutes transfer time is more than enough. Otherwise you’d have to board the 15.08 train indeed, but you really don’t have to count on that. Regular Swiss tickets are valid for the entire date (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland). I’m not sure if the same goes for Italian train tickets. The regulations may differ per retailer and connection. You’d best study the options at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price and carefully read the terms and conditions when buying tickets.

• The thread ‘Transfer from Bernina Express to train in Tirano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.