Transport for Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk

• pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    10 December 2018 at 0:35:03 #819138

I asked a similar question in a previous thread but I can’t find it so thanks for reading this over.

Looking at cable car costs and I ran across this:

Round trips with hike:

1. Wengen–Männlichen – 9.20

2. und ab Kl. Scheidegg–Wengen – 9.60

So #1 is a simple one way ticket to Männlichen and #2 is hiking from Männlichen to Kl. Scheidegg and then taking the train back to Wengen?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2018 at 0:56:05 #900153

Not sure which thread you were on, but, those plans depend on time of year.

When?

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    10 December 2018 at 1:08:14 #900154

It didn’t have a date option. That’s just what the WEB site showed as of now.

http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ wengenmaennlichen-aerial-cableway.html

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2018 at 1:10:51 #900155

When will you wish to hike?

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    10 December 2018 at 1:11:43 #900156

Summer… Aug ’19

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2018 at 1:19:38 #900157

The trail mentioned will be open from late June well into September. In August, you will have lots of company .

Those prices sound cheap. You’ll meed a ticket from Wengen to Maennlichen, and another from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen. As you noted.

Without a swiss travel pass or half fare card, my memory is that those prices are about 1/2 the going rate. I did not check the various websites that give details.

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    10 December 2018 at 1:35:18 #900158

Thanks.. (I do have the half fare card)

But my question is… Based on what I have posted:

Round trips with hike:

1. Wengen–Männlichen – 11.50 (I had originally posted a group price)

2. und ab Kl. Scheidegg–Wengen -12.00 (I had originally posted a group price)

Do I combine 1 and 2 to get my total cost? 11.50 + 12.00 <—- I’m think this is what I’ll have to pay.

Or if I go Wengen–Männlichen-HIKE-Kl. Scheidegg–Wengen is my cost is just #2 since I am hiking part of the route. I’m not sure what the translation und ab actually means.(and from?)

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 December 2018 at 7:10:06 #900159

Hi Pkerr,

“Und ab” means “and back from”. In Wengen you would buy a ticket for transportation up to Männlichen, and back to Wengen from Kleine Scheidegg. That’s what you need if you walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. Indeed you’d summarize the costs of both legs.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

I am not sure what you mean with your last question, but any segment you plan to walk you don’t need a ticket for. Walking from Wengen to Männlichen is quite something though. Very steep.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2018 at 8:03:04 #900160

<<“Or if I go Wengen–Männlichen-HIKE-Kl. Scheidegg–Wengen is my cost is just #2 since I am hiking part of the route. I’m not sure what the translation und ab actually means.(and from?)”>>

That confuses me, too.

I think you mean –

1.- Cableway from Wengen up to Männlichen. You pay with half fare card HF 11.50, if that is the posted price. I did not check.

2.- Walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg – No charge. The trails are free…….well, not quite free, but you don’t have to pay directly. Normally, die Wanderwege are maintained by the Gemeinde and/or the Kanton, thus are paid for by taxes on the citizens and businesses in the area. There can be other financial support from the railroad company or the company that owns the hotels and restaurants, and possibly even the Federal government in cases of high touristic usage. So, you pay indirectly when you pay the businesses in the area. Trail maintenance is a never-ending job anywhere there are Wanderwege.

3- Walk down to Wengen from Kleine Scheidegg – no charge to use the trail.

If you use the cog-rail train, then you pay.

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    10 December 2018 at 19:21:18 #900161

Thanks all for the info. I guess I’ll wait until I get to Kl Scheidegg before deciding to buy my ticket back to Wengen. We may just walk instead. A nice easy 4 hour walk for our first day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2018 at 19:53:38 #900162

<<“A nice easy 4 hour walk for our first day.”>>

Not sure what your skill and fitness levels are.

This topo map shows the trail:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=6&E=26 37921.37&N=1160447.73

You will have a 787 meter descent, over 6 or 7 km. Only the upper part is a “mountain trail” (red.)

However, if your knees are not used to it, that is not a nice easy walk.

This shows the color code:

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

First time that we did that walk, not in super shape due to lack of practice walking downhill, we had very ore knees by the time we reached Wengen.

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    10 December 2018 at 19:56:02 #900163

Thanks for that. We’ll (hopefully) have and idea where we are condition wise when we get to Kl. Schiendegg.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2018 at 20:09:36 #900164

<<“Schiendegg”>>

should be

“Scheidegg.”

Shindig is American slang for a lively party. 😉

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    10 December 2018 at 23:50:59 #900165

Well it’s going to be a lively party. Can’t wait to get there and see incredible Switzerland! 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 December 2018 at 0:57:09 #900166

<“Can’t wait to get there and see incredible Switzerland! :-)”>>

Here a few images to whet your appetite.

The one by Tschuggen is my daughter and granddaughter in 2009, on the trail to Kleine Scheidegg.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 December 2018 at 1:02:55 #900167

<<“We’ll (hopefully) have and idea where we are condition wise when we get to Kl. Schiendegg.”>>

You might look at the Eiger Trail as an alternative. Train to Eigergletscher from Kleine Scheidegg, walk across the face of the Eiger at the foot of the North Face, then a mere 400 meter descent to Alpiglen for a bite and the train.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/kleine-scheidegg/eiger-trail/

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    11 December 2018 at 1:05:56 #900168

Wow.. some great pictures! Thanks…

I just got through looking at some other blogs about the Eiger hike. That definitely looks like one I want to do.

• The thread ‘Transport for Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.