Best transport for Switzerland and other countries

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2019 at 22:52:29 #821021

Dear All,

I am from Mexico and I will be traveling to Europe in Sep-Oct this year… I have had the opportunity to travel to Europe for work but this time is different because most of my family is traveling with me..

(3 adults, 3 seriors, 1 child)..

I am struggling to define what would be the best way to move around Europe..

I am looking at the Eurail Global Pass (5 days in 1 month) for 1,860 USD that basically will cover our needs..

My main question I have is weather this Eurail Global Pass will cover the local transportation/trains, Gondolas in Switzerland to visit places like: Mürren, Grindelwald, Männlichen, Interlaken, etc).

For this specific local Swiss travel do I need to buy the Swiss Pass or it is included in the Eurail pass?

As commented before: Eurail Global Pass (5 days in 1 month) for 1,860 USD + 4 days Swiss travel Pass for 6 adults + 1 child = 1,776 USD. Total 3,636 USD

Here you will find my plan (still DRAFT) but so you have have a better idea of my current situation.. =/

Wed 25-Sep => Arrive to Rome (FCO) 19:10

Thur 26-Sep => Rome

Fri 27-Sep => Rome

Sat 28-Sep => Train to Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland

Sun 29-Sep => Lauterbrunnen – Visiting First, Interlaken. (Maybe not in this order but will require local trains)

Mon 30-Sep => Lauterbrunnen – Visit Männlichen, Mürren, (Maybe not in this order but will require local trains)

Tues 01-Oct => Lauterbrunnen – Visit Grindelwald.(Maybe not in this order but will require local trains)

Wed 02-Oct => Lauterbrunnen

Thur 03-Oct => Train to Munich, Germany

Fri 04-Oct => Munich

Sat 05-Oct => Munich

Sun 06-Oct => Train to Amsterdam

Mon 07-Oct => Amsterdam

Tues 08-Oct => Amsterdam – maybe a Daytrip to Bruges

Wed 09-Oct => Amsterdam

Thur 10-Oct => Train back to Rome? Fly?

Fri 11-Oct => Depart from Rome 10:30am

I really appreciate the time you take to read this post and If you have any advice that would help to take the best decision I would really appreciate it..

Regards from México!

José Uribe!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 April 2019 at 0:24:40 #909560

Hello José

As you are spending most of you time in Switzerland in the Jungfrau region I would say the Jungfrau Travel Pass would work for you.

The Eurail Global Pass will cover your travel to and from that region but you would need to buy tickets at 25% discount for any travel from Interlaken into the Jungfrau Region if you relied on that pass.

Can’t comment on the rest of your itinerary I’m afraid. Bit outside the scope of this forum.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 April 2019 at 18:40:56 #909561

Hi José,

I recommend to take a look at Rockoyster’s links, and before you decide on a Eurail Global Pass, do read these pages which explain how to book cheap city to city tickets for various countries: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel/toswitzerland/tra in/tickets.

Apart from that it would be very efficient for you to have a flight back home from Amsterdam airport, but I am sure you have considered that 🙂

• The thread ‘Best transport for Switzerland and other countries’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.